Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 07 V10 TDI. And so it begins...

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd recommend taking off the clips and observing the controllers under the plastic covers.

Take pictures and post please.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last night after posting the last message I popped the spring clips off of both controllers to see if there was anything obvious.

Power steering fluid had seeped past the gasket and gotten to the circuit board. It wasn't drenched. I had been thinking that maybe PS fluid will conduct electricity. A couple of days ago I stuffed the probes of my multi meter into the fluid i had drained and couldn't get a non infinite reading, so i thought maybe it doesn't. But circuits are way more sensitive than the currents I'm used to (flashlights to toasters).

I might be at the turn around point

3. Likes jyoung8607, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spray it out........ dry it with heat gun.......... and seal it if it works after lubing servo with MOS2.

The wrap with sealed foil tape.......correct ingress leak.

I have yet to not save one.......

https://www.lawsonproducts.com/Rotan...aler/P92116.lp
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

5. Likes Flaps10, Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    At Jack's request, here are some pictures of the guts of my bank 2 controller

This is the mechanical part. That electric motor can be found in toys and cheap appliances the world over. I know of it as a Mabuchi 380, aka "speed 400" can motor and they can be purchased in bulk for a few bucks each.

The two rabbit teeth along the lower edge are the contacts for the motor. I didn't put voltage to it because a) I don't have a ready, controllable source of DC power and b) that gear train doesn't go round and round, which means that if you put power to the pins it will probably head off one end of the rocker gear and bind up.

Here's the other side:

I could see visible fluid migration between the two arrows. The red arrow points to the other side of the rabbit teeth, where the contacts come together. One of you out there probably has corrosion here. Me, I keep mine well douched with Pentosin to avoid that problem. You can't see it in this image but last night I could see that round pattern (it's a rotary encoder to give feedback as to the actual vs. commanded position of the crank arm) was damp from about 3-7 on the clock dial.

Here it is in open face sandwich layout.

You may be able to see how wet the sealing surface is between the arrows. The round disc is the coordination to the encoder pattern on the other half.

7. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, jyoung8607, Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good tips Jack, who seems to be reading my mind a post ahead.

Spray it out with what initially, Jack? As for testing them I just realized that I'd be able to plug them back into the dangling wire harnesses to see if they function at all/consistently/the same as each other.

I recall that they take a sweep when you first fire it up as part of a POST (want every chance to pull that friggin' "OMG! OH NO's!" warning chime when you turn the key, right?). Hmm.

9. Likes Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay I would use oven cleaner on board and then rinse dry with distilled water.

Then I would run new solder legs to all those weld joints with overlays.

Clean again/rinse........ dry heat board slightly and spray Insul.

Verify diagnostics before sealing of course and then wrap it up.

The gaskets on that cover are junk and insufficient.
    That type solder joint by welds is also bad and fails in every ABS, Mech and CVT or any use I happen to encounter.

Jesus saves Jack invests........
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 07-08-2016 at 12:38 PM.

11. Likes Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember that those controllers are paired with their turbos. Their was a lengthy thread on this problem here. Poster encountered difficulty matching replacements and VW sells matched pairs only (turbo plus controller)

13. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait. What?

So if did send them off and they replace a circuit board it wouldn't pair p to the car when reinstalled?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, is that a typo? You want me to use oven cleaner and then water on the circuit board?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, is that a typo? You want me to use oven cleaner and then water on the circuit board?
    It is not .........don't be afraid.

Oven cleaner will brighten the board ( foam up and plastic brush the board light ) and make the connections better.
    Distilled water to rinse and then immediate heat and air to dry.

Then the solder overlays .........test and then seal.

The use of a magnifying mirror is advised, to see what you normally or my case can't see otherwise for inspection.