Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7P T'Reg EPB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

7P T'Reg EPB

You'll probably wanna watch this on Youtube 'cause it's a bit small to make out all the details here:

Last edited by Uwe; 06-12-2015 at 05:54 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I've seen everything. My big 'ol piston-compressing C-clamp has been rendered obsolete by automation.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What made us crazy is that on all the previous EPBs, all that was needed was some Basic Settings, one to open, one to close, one to do a function test, and that test was static, the module just opened and closed the brakes a few times to check itself. Yes, on the D3 A8, you also had to stuff the new pad thickness (in mm) into an adaptation channel.

But "Grinding In"? I'd really like to know why this is necessary.

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 06-12-2015 at 05:59 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes Eric, Adam, Jack@European_Parts, Boki Ar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I figured this was the best place for our (serious) Fall 2016 TSW Touareg EPB photos since we have it linked from the VW Touareg (7P) Parking Brake Wiki page. I saved them to my Google account for now, we can resize and watermark them for the Wiki at a later point in time.

IMG_5494_Assembled.JPG

IMG_5506_Rotor Installed.JPG

IMG_5511_Rotor Removed.JPG

IMG_5518_Shoe Adjuster.JPG

IMG_5513_EPB Motor Front.JPG

IMG_5492_EPB Motor Rear.JPG

6. Likes Boki Ar, Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

It works logically, IMO. The system does not allow "grinding in" for a period of 200 meters "at once". The brake shoes will be smoked more than Uwes electronic cigarette.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boki Ar View Post
    It works logically, IMO. The system does not allow "grinding in" for a period of 200 meters "at once". The brake shoes will be smoked more than Uwes electronic cigarette.
    Considering how many times we did "grinding in" of the shoes in that picture last year, the system seems to work OK.

(Repeated grinding in to figure out and document the process was done last year. Pictures of shoes are from this year).

9. Likes Boki Ar, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is the correct air gap set after repairs and before the grinding in procedure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Touareg air gap specs are 1.9 to 2.4 mm. Left and right side must be within 0.2mm of each other.

The brake shoe adjuster wheel, each tooth is 0.15mm change.

Left side of vehicle:
    Moving adjuster wheel towards front of vehicle, air gap gets SMALLER
    Moving adjuster wheel towards rear of vehicle, air gap gets LARGER

Right side of vehicle:
    Moving adjuster wheel towards front of vehicle, air gap gets LARGER
    Moving adjuster wheel towards rear of vehicle, air gap gets SMALLER
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

12. Likes Eric, Uwe, MartinsX liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just been suffering with this basic settings and gap adaopation on a 2012. I opened the calipers (!) shoes and we did new genuine Brembo discs and pads but the shoes were fine. I closed the calipers and checked the gaps which were wide so we reset then to almost dead on 2 with a 0.05mm difference between sides. I did the 21763 and went to air gap set but constantly got "aborted for safety reasons". I tried it EPB on then of, foot brake on and off, engine running, not running and all the possible combinations but it would not replace the values shown in the air gap when it came in. I noticed that the air gap that changed was the before calibration, the “air gap” never changed from what it had been to start with, I tried the grind in and it said running but did nothing and then said not running and then when I checked later, the air gap had gone out of spec at 2.3mm but the customer had to take the car. I am having it back on Friday when I get my new VAS6154 to use with ODIS which I s what I would have used if the new ODIS 4.3.3 had not taken a dislike to my 5054+ on Monday. Also, what really confused is the ECU lost its coding four times.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    We solved this by using the Delphi diagnostic system of a friend, the gaps went straight in and it took us to a walk through of the grind in process and we were done in 30 minutes. Two days down the drain for the lack of ODIS which I should have up and running over the weekend.