Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=178462
I am looking at the HEX-NET WiFi Interface and would like to know with the 10 VIN limit, what capabilities can be performed outside of the 10 VIN limit? Can I scan and delete codes or I cannot not even scan a VIN because its not within the 10 VIN limit [registered]? I not sure at this point if I want the unlimited version.

Will you be able to purchase more licenses once you supersede the 10 VIN limit?

Thx

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No VIN will ever be counted toward the limit without your explicit consent.

Yes, you can scan for faults (including full Auto-Scans) and clear fault codes, and you can look at measuring values without having that car's VIN being counted toward the license limit.

Although I don't have a definitive list handy at the moment, in general, it will only ask you to count a car's VIN toward the limit if you make changes to the car -- Basic Settings, Codings, Adaptations, and so on.

If you buy a 10-VIN HEX-NET and you reach the 10-VIN limit, you can buy a license upgrade to the unlimited version. We've not set firm pricing on this, and it will be a bit more than the difference in price between the 10-VIN and unlimited version (to cover our cost of having to process an additional order).

-Uwe-

Otto

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=178462
Thx for the info but I do have one last question though. If I have the 10 VIN licensed unit and I were to sell the unit and I used 5 licenses. I am assuming that the buyer would only have 5 more available but able to purchase more under the Ross Tech plan. Am I correct?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Correct, if you buy a 10-VIN interface, use 5 of the VINs, and re-sell it, the new buyer will have 5 VINs left, no more, no less.

Can he upgrade to unlimited VINs? Hmm... The new owner will not be a registered user, and is therefore not eligible for support, upgrades, or warranty. If you're expecting to resell it, you're probably better off buying the unlimited VIN version.

-Uwe-

Otto

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=178462
Now that is an issue when looking to purchase a new [HEX-NET WiFi Interface] cable. I recently sold my cable [VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface] because I always envisioned the wireless capability. Trying to resell a [HEX-NET] limited vs. unlimited licensed product can be a problem from whAT you just stated. Now I must decide on which one to purchase. Resale on these cables are ALWAYS a good investment if you dont have those types of supported automobiles. If you have anymore thoughts/ideas on a purchase please let me know.

Thx

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Although I don't have a definitive list handy at the moment, in general, it will only ask you to count a car's VIN toward the limit if you make changes to the car -- Basic Settings, Codings, Adaptations, and so on.
Would it be fair to say VINs are now only tracked with Cloud-based functions? I recall the VIN counting scheme was made more liberal a while back, but I was never clear on the details.

Jason

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Now that is an issue when looking to purchase a new [HEX-NET WiFi Interface] cable. I recently sold my cable [VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface] because I always envisioned the wireless capability. Trying to resell a [HEX-NET] limited vs. unlimited licensed product can be a problem from whAT you just stated.
I don't think anything has really changed, unless Uwe has decided not to offer ownership transfers for HEX-NET, and I doubt that. Ross-Tech has always offered support and updates indefinitely for the registered owner of the interface. If you sell the interface, and the new owner wants support and updates, there is a one-time charge to transfer ownership. Some people want the support and they get registered, and Ross-Tech records them as the new owner. Some people don't care, and they do without. It's up to you.

If you plan on reselling it later, buying a 10-VIN enthusiast HEX-NET will make things more complicated, since you have a question of consumed VINs on top of the ownership transfer. If it helps, think of it like this: a HEX-NET interface is $499. If you're not a professional, if you're just a casual user who intends to keep it forever and you will only use it on your own personal vehicles, then they offer to help you out with a $100 discount. If that's not the case, if you think you're going to resell it, don't ask for the discount.

Jason

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Would it be fair to say VINs are now only tracked with Cloud-based functions? I recall the VIN counting scheme was made more liberal a while back, but I was never clear on the details.
No, I don't want to state it that way, because if you're using VCDS ("classic" for Windows) then there's nothing that require cloud access, but there will still be functions that require you to "count" a VIN.

-Uwe-

Otto

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=178462
I hope I never have to sell the HEX-NET cable I am considering to purchase. I never thought I would sell the VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface, which I did because I want to upgrade. And with it [VCDS License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface] being unlimited licensing it definitely had a huge advantage for resale. So I guess the decision is in my court [garage].

Thx
Otto

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
No, I don't want to state it that way, because if you're using VCDS ("classic" for Windows) then there's nothing that require cloud access, but there will still be functions that require you to "count" a VIN.
Ah! I completely forgot Desktop also respects the VIN registration and limit process. I've never seen the prompt. I got 99 problems but VIN limits ain't one. :)

Is it fair to say Cloud functions are the delimiter within VCDS Mobile?

Jason

Reactions: Uwe

audibmi

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=105413
if the 10 VINs are used up, and wanted to upgrade to unlimited, would the old dongle have to be shipped back for a new one, or can it be done remotely online?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It can be done on-line.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back