Which one?

d13avo

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Hi to all

Firstly apologies that I have a pirate copy, a friend gave me it and I presumed it was a purchased version. I would like to purchase a legit version but am totally confused on what to get, also I don't want to spend a lot of money and not be able to perform the mods I would like to do. I originally came here because I could not perform certain mods as there was no long code helper so if my vehicle is unable to do these then am I better off with VCDS Lite? I am only planning on using it on my VW T5 Transporter and my partners 2003 VW Golf. Thank you Paul

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
In order for us to make a recommendation, we would need the model year of the T5. Or, you could help yourself by using our World Spec Compatiblity Chart.

You could use VCDS-Lite for the 2003 Golf but I cannot confirm that you could use it on the T5 without knowing model year.

d13avo

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
My VW Transporter T5 is a 2009

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The 7H chassis (2003-2009) is not a CAN vehicle so I don't think any of the controllers in that vehicle would support long coding. The 2003 Golf would be made of traditional/short coded modules.

Although VCDS-Lite may work with the 7H I wouldn't expect VCDS to have a complete collection of label files. I'll bounce this off the guys to see if they can add any more clarity.

d13avo

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Thank you Dana for your response and any more help would be much appreciated.

The 7H chassis (2003-2009) is not a CAN vehicle so I don't think any of the controllers in that vehicle would support long coding. The 2003 Golf would be made of traditional/short coded modules.

Although VCDS-Lite may work with the 7H I wouldn't expect VCDS to have a complete collection of label files. I'll bounce this off the guys to see if they can add any more clarity.

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Build/registration year 2009 can very well be the facelifted version, technically the pre-facelift model ran up to and including early model year 2010 (build date through Nov/2009) while the facelift started with model year 2010 (build dates as of September 2009) which means there was some overlap in production. If in doubt, email your VIN number to Support@Ross-Tech.com and we should be able to get back to you.

FWIW, from personal experience - even though VCDS-Lite generally works on a 2009 (pre-facelift) T5 it isn't recommended. There were quite a few things which were added to VCDS and were not back-ported to VCDS-Lite. My recommendation, even for K-line cars is to go with a KII-USB (or HEX+CAN if you end up needing the CAN support) and a current version of VCDS instead for everything MY 2005 and newer.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The 7H chassis (2003-2009) is not a CAN vehicle so I don't think any of the controllers in that vehicle would support long coding.
Right, the 7H didn't have anything that used CAN (or Long Coding) until the facelift. After the facelift, some of the stuff in it does use CAN and probably long coding. I'm thinking a 2009 is still pre-facelift.

The OP's VIN is: WV2ZZZ7HZ9H1xxxxx

-Uwe-

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
In the original T5 Auto-Scan posted by Paul, I don't recall seeing any modules that had long coding values so it's probably a pre-facelift. The VIN will most likely confirm that.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Good point. I just reviewed that scan and indeed, all the modules use conventional (short) coding and communicate via K-Line.

-Uwe-

d13avo

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Thank you all for your responses. I acquired my VW T5 in October 2009 so it is a pre-facelift, the VIN number is - WV2ZZZ7HZ9H162245. So am I correct in saying I am unable to perform the hazard light flash, needle sweep etc on my vehicle? What are the differences between the KII-USB or HEX+CAN and which should I purchase? One last question, sorry. When my aftermarket stereo was fitted I can remember the guy trying a different CAN BUS as the one he originally tried did not receive the ignition Live, ever since this stereo was fitted which must be around four years ago it intermittently disconnects from my iPod, would this software find a fault?

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
I don't believe you are going to be able to tweak very much due to the control modules installed in the vehicle. For example, this type of 09-Cent. Elect. controller used short coding so hazard light flash under heavy braking doesn't appear to be supported and "Staging" (needle sweep) wouldn't be available in this type of 17-Instrument cluster either.

This chart should be helpful but the main difference between the KII-USB and the HEX-USB+CAN is vehicle compatibility. The KII is an Enthusiast Interface that would work for both of your current vehicles but it would not work on CAN vehicles. If you plan on purchasing additional VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda vehicles in the future it might be best to start with the HEX-USB+CAN rather than upgrading to it later.

If you do not purchase directly from us please see our Authorized Distributor List so you end up with a genuine unit.

Edit; The 19-CAN Gateway in this vehicle should be the Instrument cluster so I doubt he replaced that. Instead, I suspect the CAN radio components that were installed are aftermarket and VCDS would not be able to help with that diagnosis.

Last edited:

d13avo

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Thank you Dana. So if I purchase the HEX-USB+CAN so that I will be future proof, which package do I need to get?

I have just checked your authorised dealer list but there isn't anyone listed for the UK so what would you suggest?

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The Package is the interface :) After you have an Intelligent Interface (either the KII or HEX-USB+CAN) simply download VCDS directly from our website and enjoy.

On that note make sure all of the old software is uninstalled (including driver packages) so the shady stuff doesn't corrupt the genuine unit when you get it.

d13avo

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Cheers GaryM, I think I must have been too impatient and did not give the page enough time to load.

d13avo

Unverified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
J have just checked the package out on Gendan Ltd and was wondering whether to go for the bundle as my Dad owns a 1994 VW Caravelle. But also on this site they mention the new mobile phone version which hasn't been released in the UK as of yet. If I was to purchase this kit can it be upgraded to this and will it be compatible with early VW's or am I best waiting for this new mobile version? Regards

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
The HEX-NET wireless (read that mobile) device is compatible with all VAG from 1995 through 2015. With a 2x2 adapter, like the HEX-USB+CAN, it is compatible to the older cars that did not have a 16 pin DLC (diagnostic connector). VCDS and VCDS-Mobile, the software package licenses embedded in the HEX-NET (yes, you get both), will support all VAG vehicles that are diagnostic capable.

The HEX-NET is only available from Ross-Tech in the USA at this time. When the product comes out of it's Beta release, our partners around the world will begin selling it.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
The HEX-NET is only available from Ross-Tech in the USA at this time. When the product comes out of it's Beta release, our partners around the world will begin selling it.

Bruce: Thanks for the information. When does RT anticipate the release of HEX-NET to the Rest-of-World?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's only available for purchase from us directly, but it hasn't been restricted to US customers since the end of last year. So it is available world-wide, just not through resellers.

-Uwe-

Back