Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WiFi hotspot via Audi Connect

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

WiFi hotspot via Audi Connect

Been rolling this around in my mind for weeks and haven't come to a solid conclusion.

Any pros/cons to making the primary network the in-vehicle WiFi ?
    Two downsides I can think of:
    • finding VCHN's IP address sans app
    • MOST bus or wireless gateway goes funky, but HEX-NET should revert to my phone's hotspot if properly configured/on

Appreciate your input. Thanks-Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Jake,

Finding the IP isn't that much of an issue - there is an additional Android/iPhone app (sort of like a launcher) which determines the IP as well (the Android app can also be installed on current BlackBerry models running OS 10.2.1 or newer). The major advantage would be the cloud functions running through your vehicle WIFI/T-Mobile. As far as MOST issues go, you won't get that far if the MOST isn't working in general but reality is that you would use regular VCDS instead of VCDS-Mobile to diagnose it - currently Ring Break Diagnostics is not part of VCDS-Mobile.

BTW, the HEX-NET can be switched from Infrastructure to Access Point Mode with a simple tap to the button - so even if the vehicle WIFI is giving you troubles that should be an easy fix.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect, thank you Sebastian.

Very excited about HEX-NET since I am laptop-less at the moment, and like my Amex I don't leave home without VCDS

<waits impatiently at door for FedEx>

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yep, in a car in which I was paying for Audi Connect anyway, I'd sure use it to give my HEX-NET cloud access!

I would expect that the DHCP server in the Audi Connect router will try to assign the same IP address to the HEX-NET every time (assuming it hasn't run out of slots). Most DHCP servers try to do that these days.

If you're using an Android phone/tablet, we have a little 'launcher' / 'browser wrapper' app that will find your HEX-NET for you. It's not in the Play Store yet, but can downloaded and side-loaded.

If you're using an iOS device, we have such an app coming, but since iOS doesn't offer the ability to side-load apps, you'll have to wait until we submit it to Apple and they bless it. In the meanwhile, I might suggest installing a network scanner such as Fing.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it turned out connecting to Audi Connect isn't such a great idea unfortunately.
    Tried it today and during the Auto Scan the WIFI get's reset and dropped both HEX-NET and my iPad.

Three attempts later, tried to connect to my iPhone but that failed.
    Likely user error - far too many people were cutting across the nose of my A8L at high speed [edit: in a parking lot] so I returned to the office.
    Confirmed since that it will connect to my iPhone just fine.

Somewhere along the way the Auto Scan was lost - I think when the ASAM download failed.
    Possibly when I had to do the 45 second reset to get it to go into AP mode.
    The CPU light is now alternating between red/green on my office network.

Will try again with my phone later or tomorrow....

EDIT: Waited about 15 minutes, removed power, and re-powered via USB and the CPU light is normal now.
    Last edited by jakematic; 02-19-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: additional info

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Please don't play while driving. Despite my general lack of altruism, I believe I would suffer from considerable remorse if you got yourself killed while messing with this.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Please don't play while driving.
    Absolutely not!
    I got a haircut and sat in the parking lot

Then the phone exploded and had to return to the office...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some new observations regarding Apple device hotspots:
    - neither Fing nor iNet will scan the WiFi network when in hotspot mode
    - sometimes the hotspot needs to be turned on/off a couple times for HEX-NET to connect

Keep in mind this is iOS code that is not GA yet, so.....

Because I've encountered so many self-induced / learning curve issues it still hasn't let me create my Cloud id.
    It did sync though so I presume the docid will attach itself to my account later ?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lesson learned - don't overthink and go crazy with the network profiles like I did.

Audi Connect does not seem viable; will investigate further.

Deleted all profiles, added iPhone hotspot and it connects like a champ now.

Fing and iNet work if you manually scan 172.20.10.x on Apple devices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the updates. Could we ask you to put your phone on Audi Connect and do whatever quality-of-connection benchmarks you an think of back to VCDS-Cloud.com? Your Audi Connect is via T-Mo's 3G service, right? I'm kinda curious whether there are latency or packet-loss issues? Oh, and does your phone get data through a different provider / cell network?