How to read wiring diagrams - the videos (final version)

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
no wonder today's youth is so stupid. they rely on google wikipedia and urban dictionary. :D

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^Michel: with respect - I can't agree.

I never cease to be amazed by today's youth - of course it's a gross exaggeration to generalize, but the youth that I speak-to tend to think differently to my generation and invariably their thought processes are far more efficient and much more incisive (IMO).

I guess it's because the value and the quantum of information has changed dramatically over the years and because the mechanisms to access data has exploded exponentially!!

I think it's called "evolution". ;)

Don

PS: However, I do agree that youth is wasted on the young - but this was also true when I was young (soooooo many years ago, now)

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
no wonder today's youth is so stupid. they rely on google wikipedia and urban dictionary. :D
Maybe not stupid but careless - go to any subject on wikipedia that you have personal knowledge of and spot the glaring errors which when you correct them invariably get put wrong again!

Wikipedia is NOT reliable is the bottom line, you have to cross reference it against other sources.

iichel

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=284912
small life pro tip, wikipedia itself isn't great but in the natural sciences and history it's not too bad. but if you want to go in-depth, check out the citations at the bottom section on wikipedia. that usually refers to good and elaborative sources.

Reactions: Uwe

DicknNancy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25580
I've watched both videos and done some additional reading of the self study materials but I haven't found a description of what a "Plus Connection" is. I see it listed in the WD I have on eBahn for my Touareg.

Also on page 15 of the PDF that goes with the two videos it shows an A15 in a circle. I'm wondering how this connection with the letter designation differs from the other connections (no letters) described as "weld connections"

Can someone enlighten me?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The A15 in a circle should be described in the legend on that page of the diagram.

-Uwe-

DicknNancy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25580
The A15 in a circle should be described in the legend on that page of the diagram.

-Uwe-

It is on the legend, but it says

"Plus Connection 13 (15a) (in main wiring harness)"

another says

" Plus Connection 2 (15a) (in main wiring harness)"

I'm wondering what a plus connection is

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Short answer, it is a weld point, several wires joined together:

tCpdH8x.png

A very generic example of a weld point, wires joined together.

The "15a" should be a circuit that has battery positive voltage with the ignition turned on. Where these weld points are located in the vehicle? Not documented. :banghead:

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I'm wondering what a plus connection is

Battery positive; i.e. '+' hence 'plus'. With reference to ground.

Jef excellently illustrates how it is physically constructed, they're then insulated and buried deep in the wiring harness.

Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Battery positive; i.e. '+' hence 'plus'. With reference to ground.

Jef excellently illustrates how it is physically constructed, they're then insulated and buried deep in the wiring harness.

Zenerdiode: without intending anything of a negative nature and with my full acknowledgement of your obvious expertise in matters electrical (which is abundantly clear from your previous writings ) - are your sure?

And I preface my assertion by reminding us both that German engineers are renowned above all else for their clinical efficiency. So - if the good Burghers in Germany intended PLUS to be a synonym for the add symbol, then why wouldn't they just use the symbol (WDs are replete with the "+" symbol, elsewhere)?

Therefore, whilst I admit that I find much in these WDs to be arcane and very non-intuitive, and because the term "plus" is invariably used at what Jeff calls "weld-points" which are places in the loom where multiple wires connect together - why doesn't PLUS in WDs have its other meaning "also" - perhaps?

Also on page 15 of the PDF that goes with the two videos it shows an A15 in a circle. I'm wondering how this connection with the letter designation differs from the other connections (no letters) described as "weld connections"

Can someone enlighten me?

What a f#^cking good question!!!!:thumbs:

From the perspective of a complete amateur, my uninformed observation is that the these notations do not have a leading alpha if they relate to earth points - but I'm not sure that this explains it. Perhaps the alpha relates to a wiring loom identifier, or maybe it's a code identifier for the ciruit function (like DIN 72552)-I'm guessing?

Don

Last edited:

MAJones89

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373177
Could somebody help me with trying to understand something on the wiring diagrams...
On the screenshot below it shows a 2.5 red and a 1.0 black/green both going to terminal 5 of the fuse holder.
Having 2 different coloured wires on the same terminal doesn't sound like a good idea to me...I've looked at the fuse holder shown and the solid red wire is nowhere to be seen.
Am i being daft and missing something obvious?!

https://imgur.com/a/yPGzvt0
kWKYtN3.png

cant for the life of me embed this image either :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Having 2 different coloured wires on the same terminal doesn't sound like a good idea to me...
Me either, but ze Germans, vell, zey do vhat zey do. ;)

I've looked at the fuse holder shown and the solid red wire is nowhere to be seen.
Are you sure you've the correct diagram for your particular car?

cant for the life of me embed this image either :confused:
You should be able to click EDIT on your own post to see what I did to make that happen.

In short, I went to the imgur URL you posted, which is a web page. I right-clicked on the image itself, and told my browser (Firefox) to "Copy Image Location". In Chrome, it would be "Copy Image Address". That got me this: https://i.imgur.com/kWKYtN3.png, which I then put between IMG tags.

-Uwe-

MAJones89

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373177
Are you sure you've the correct diagram for your particular car?

I'm as sure as I can be!
None of the fuse holders I checked had more than 1 wire on their terminals. Do pins exist that will accommodate 2 wires?

Could it be that the red wire is connected to the black/green somewhere else in the loom?

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
While not "normal", it is very possible to have 2 wires crimped into a single terminal. But I would find it odd if the wires were different colors.

Some other reasons it was drawn that way... it may be trying to show 2 different possibilities. In other words, if the car has the VR6T engine, then you would find the 2.5mm red wire. But if the car has the W8T engine, then a black/green wire is used. When something like that is done, there tends to be * or maybe # and footnotes about it.

* only with VR6T
# only with W8T

I've can't say I recall any cases of 2 different color type wires in a terminal, but have seen many cases of 2 wire colors shown as and depending on what car you are working with, one or the other, not both.

MAJones89

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373177
While not "normal", it is very possible to have 2 wires crimped into a single terminal. But I would find it odd if the wires were different colors.

Some other reasons it was drawn that way... it may be trying to show 2 different possibilities. In other words, if the car has the VR6T engine, then you would find the 2.5mm red wire. But if the car has the W8T engine, then a black/green wire is used. When something like that is done, there tends to be * or maybe # and footnotes about it.

* only with VR6T
# only with W8T

I've can't say I recall any cases of 2 different color type wires in a terminal, but have seen many cases of 2 wire colors shown as and depending on what car you are working with, one or the other, not both.

I know what you mean about the different model versions highlighted with an asterisk, but there aren't any for those wires. On the fuse assignment pages of the schematic for my car, there are a few which show the black/green and red wires onto the same fuse terminal. The full page below shows some marked with an asterisk but not the black/green and red wires.
Could it just be that the asterisk has been missed off by mistake?

rieW3yv.png

MAJones89

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=373177
:confused:
So I have found what looks to be the same thing in a different version of the wiring diagram, No. 3.

What I think is really going on... the wiring diagram is wrong. And with the way VW/Audi work, mistakes in the factory repair manual WILL NOT BE CORRECTED... EVER.

I think you were right first time with them being from different versions/options.
Following the black/green (B308) circuit back to its source, it's shown as only on stop/start versions. So I presume without stop/start there would be no voltage stabiliser and the red cables would be there instead.

0iNFRmS.jpg

Back