Not open for further replies.

Dubs

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=23520
Hey Guys,

I'm sure its a long shot being a "safety" feature and all. But any idea if there is a parameter available to change or disable the Audi emergency brake assist (EBA.) This is the one that senses a harder brake application and thinks you are trying to brake a full capacity so it "helps" you out and goes full brake. It's kind of annoying after changing pads and tires. Seems to come on way too early when having some fun or even just stopping harder for a yellow light. Any ideas welcome. Thanks guys!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Long shot indeed. Are we talking about the car you posted a scan of here?

-Uwe-

Dubs

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=23520
Yes sorry. That would have helped.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uh.. That post is about an MK60EC1 ABS system (Made by ATE) in a Golf/Jetta type car; a totally different animal than the 'ESP8 quattro' (made by Bosch) in your car. ;)

-Uwe-

PS: I just checked what we might have documented regarding that 'feature' on your ESP8 and came up empty handed so far.

roth

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=242642
Done via SVM, on line :cry:

Andy

Dubs

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=23520
Cool thanks for checking guys. I figured it would be in that module drop down if VCDS had it programmed in there (noob mistake.) I assume only Audi does SVM changes, think Audi would touch something like that?

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
roth, the coding is officially done via SVM only - with that I agree. However, VCDS can code this module offline and we have the necessary details to calculate those codings. As far as Audi disabling a safety feature like this goes, I absolutely disagree with your statement that this would be something a dealer would get the manufacturers approval for.

Dubs

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=23520
Hey Sebastian. I'm quite interested in testing that if possible. We have 3 of this gen S4 at my work (10' dsg, 11'dsg, 11' man) if you need different datapoints, and our test track if needed. Two of us that changed pads are having the issue and the 3rd is still stock but we presume he'll experience it too.

roth

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=242642
roth, the coding is officially done via SVM only - with that I agree. However, VCDS can code this module offline and we have the necessary details to calculate those codings. As far as Audi disabling a safety feature like this goes, I absolutely disagree with your statement that this would be something a dealer would get the manufacturers approval for.

I meant coding done via SVM, not disabling.

BR, Andy

roth

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=242642
Two of us that changed pads are having the issue and the 3rd is still stock but we presume he'll experience it too.

What brand of brake pads did you use ???

Andy

Sebastian

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN0-nnnnnn
Which (non-stock?) pads are you running that you're seeing these issues now? If you're experiencing odd behavior, I'd guess the ESP might give you troubles in extreme situations as well.

Reactions: Uwe

Dubs

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=23520
Hawks HPS and Hawk 5.0 now. Street pads. Same pads rotors front back. Everything else is great, ESP wise. It only seems to initiate too early when I have progressive significant braking (maybe 7/10ths) in a straight line. It's not quick stabs of the brake but smooth increasing inputs and then the pedal drops and it's hard on the abs for a split second. Like I mentioned before just braking harder for a yellow light can initiate it. At first it was on my snow tires and I thought perhaps I was just losing traction but something wasn't right. When it did it on my super sports I started researching and figured it was EBA. I don't want to sound like 'that guy' but I actually test tires for my job so I feel like I know what typical traction loss feels like, and the quick sink of the brake pedal totally caught me off guard. I've never had it do it mid corner and hopefully the ESP system is smart enough, but it could be bad if it initiated while trail braking or something. When my coworker with the same car changed his pads (HPS) and asked me about it, I unfortunately told him there may not be a way to fix it. Hopefully I'm wrong. Thanks guys.

roth

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=242642

Dubs

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score