Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '05 mkV/mk5 Jetta 2.5l BGP - 6-Speed Auto to 5-Speed Manual Swap - Engine Coding ?s

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kolby64 View Post
    This may sound like a stupid question, but if I were to buy a used ECM, would a VW dealership have the ability to match the immobilizer without the security codes from the donor car? Is this something they would even do for me if they have the ability to?

I only ask because the price of a new ECM is staggering. :/
    No, VW dealer can not adopt Used ECU.
    Go to Car-part.com , there is many for manual transmission ECU from $65-$100.

If you decide to buy used ECU , if you want you can contact me .
    I can program used ECU.
    Last edited by Jetta ,97; 03-28-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 COLOR cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@gmail.com

2. Likes kolby64 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    We could have a look at the board to verify the same ME type hardware....... because ME7.1.1 I can tell you, are not all the same.....MCU! Known that for a long time......on Phaeton just learned about a new one!

Loading a factory file or binary to the incorrect type ECU will brick your ECU..... and you are not going to have a good time.

Immo defeat done right for SMOG is also possible with legal proper checksum.
    Backups and SKC/CP data absolutely possible.
    Hi, Jack. Thanks for stopping by the thread!

So there's at least a possibility that I could have my current ECM flashed with the M/T firmware if everything matches up, right? Could you tell me how to go about identifying the hardware and any other info needed?

If there is any way around buying a new ECM at all, I'm all ears. I'm really not thrilled about the idea of spending ~$1,000 for a new computer, so I'd like to avoid that option, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetta ,97 View Post
    No, VW dealer can not adopt Used ECU.
    Go to Car-part.com , there is many for manual transmission ECU from $65-$100.

If you decide to buy used ECU , if you want you can contact me .
    I can program used ECU.
    Is car-part.com a reputable site? The prices on those ECMs seem almost too good to be true, given the prices I've seen elsewhere.

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is car-part.com a reputable site? The prices on those ECMs seem almost too good to be true, given the prices I've seen elsewhere.
    Yes, this is most popular site when it comes to used parts.
    I purchase many things form it and never had problem. It is basically site where all wrecking yards post them stuff what they have for sale.

The thing is that 2.5 L ECU is not very popular , they do not have problems at all( at least I never seen one ), so they probably sitting on shelf for ever, and they want to sell it . So the price is very low.
    Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 COLOR cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@gmail.com

6. Likes Uwe, roth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is not a selling site per say. It simply allows all the recyclers (junkyards) to list items they have for sale. It's OK, although they mostly cater to professionals.

You can pick up most of ECUs there for around $100. If you know how to read / write EEPROMs and decipher the PINs out of them that's all you should spend. If not, there is a bunch of guys on eBay who can do it for you for little money. In that case, you will be out $250 -$300 most.

...and then, you can sell your, not needed ECU on eBay for $250, because they are rare and now you will have PIN for it... and so, you might get your ECM 4 free

..see how it works, easy .

BR, Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    We have bought several items from dismantlers using car-part.com with a reasonable amount of success. One upside is that some places aren't too familiar with differences between control modules so you might get several "brain boxes" for the price of one. Lately it seems eBay is just as likely to contain various parts for sale, with the bonus of instant payment, no need to interact over the phone, etc.

9. Likes roth, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Lately it seems eBay is just as likely to contain various parts for sale, with the bonus of instant payment, no need to interact over the phone, etc.
    Andy, there is many out there buying on CarPart and selling on eBay even for a 2-8 times the price, exploiting some of the "not so smart" shoppers . That ECM you get on CarPart for $100 gets listed on eBay for $500 or even $800. The rub is, the guy selling it on eBay doesn't even have this thing in stock. As soon as you click buy it now, they buy it on CarPart and resend it to you pocketing $400 - $700. Not bad for a trip to the Post Office and if you go there a few times a week, you get the picture $$$$ .

The problem is, it gets harder to find the next sucker , luckily there are automotive forums and they are prime hunting ground .

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    We have bought several items from dismantlers using car-part.com with a reasonable amount of success. One upside is that some places aren't too familiar with differences between control modules so you might get several "brain boxes" for the price of one.
    Got to verify part number.

BR, Andy.
    Skype ag6167