Status
Not open for further replies.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
People occasionally ask us why our interfaces don't support the SAE J2534 "Standard".

Well, if you have an hour to spare, have a listen to the J2534 discussion session at the most recent NASTF meeting. ;)

-Uwe-

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Validation for every FW change, along with a changing spec, sounds like a real nightmare...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yup, and unless you're one of the favored few that got "validated" early on, you've got just about zero chance of getting "validated" by any manufacturer.

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
So they make it look like the aftermarket has complete access, when in fact, it is only access by the limited few. The OE continues to control the repair market place, deciding with whom they will work. NASTF claims to be working for the aftermarket and for the OE to bridge the communication gap and to mitigate the hostility between the two. Not sure I see that as clear as they do!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So they make it look like the aftermarket has complete access, when in fact, it is only access by the limited few. The OE continues to control the repair market place, deciding with whom they will work. NASTF claims to be working for the aftermarket and for the OE to bridge the communication gap and to mitigate the hostility between the two. Not sure I see that as clear as they do!
Yeah, the NASTF's attitude has been that if the "Aftermarket" (meaning shops) has access to the OEM scan tool, then they (the NASTF) has done it's job. The fact that practically no individual car owner can afford to buy the OEM tool, and that most shops can't afford more than a few of the OEM's tools, seems to have been lost on the NASTF. Getting the OEM software to run through a few vendors' J2534 setups certainly appears to be a step in the right direction, but that still leaves the OEM in complete control over what an owner or aftermarket repair facility can and cannot do with the the systems in the car.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
most shops can't afford more than a few of the OEM's tools, seems to have been lost on the NASTF.

The irony is they even admitted that a "single 'J box' won't work for everything"
Between the OEM oversight and the fact that it doesn't work like most would think makes no sense at all...

Even more concerning is GM's web only based tool that would appear to lock all third parties out.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Really what is criminal for the OEM's, NASTF, or the lock out of J2534 spec and failure of governing agencies.....what the OEM's are doing.....
is clearly a monopoly........a perfect example is Audi-VW.

VW-Audi would and did require you join an outside agency such as the NASTF, as a way of trying to deny you access to the information or Geko LSID, when they are required by law to give you access to without such membership to an independent no governing agency.
You will note they do it both ways currently.

That is extortion........I did verify that as I was a member of the Geko program long before the NASTF was involved or required.
Hell might even qualify as racketeering.

However........ as things were changed....... and they did change, "said criteria" the repair manual providers/dissemination of information was changed and information removed from the basic repair manual for OBD related items making even more convoluted.
So much for clean running car repairs or OBD2 spec standards.......hmmmmm!

They than have taken the coding/DTC tables and repair procedures....... which were clearly contained in the repair manual in the past, and migrated it to the scan tool..... to hide it purposely.

NEXT

Then in addition published TSB's which mentioned the SVM or GeKo process......when I sited that information to VW-Audi.....go figure they deleted the TSB process effective immediately in end of 2009 for hard copy. I used it as evidence against them through the EPA to prove a problem existed.

Because the information was available for offline via DVD or CD including reprogramming in the past, and now it required some new hoop of fire to access it over the internet.

Without straight forward access to this information with the OEM tester, J2534, an OBD2 scanner or even VCDS as an example....... it makes it almost impossible to do effective repairs.

What NASTF should do or proper enforcement/legislation through government agencies........ is require that all procedures be made available both ways.

This whole secure data release model is a crock of shit. It is not done in the aid to secure cars.......it is done to stop the aftermarket from a fair shake in performing repairs.

The new tools which are present as burglar tools....... can be bought by any schmuck/crook on eBay or Alibaba......... to circumvent every "supposed security feature" they have enacted only shows me that I am correct.

The best example is this:

VW-AUDI to this day gives you your radio code for your radio ( "a security code" ) however, when comes to your own SKC code for the car you own..... you are denied it....... in the sake of being a security issue/proprietary.
The fact is a ( "SKC security code" ) was required in early generations, to be provided as law here in the USA to the owner.
So what I would like to know is........ who was responsible for rescinding, or lack of enforcement to provide such data as in the past?
( This person should be publically whipped, like in the passion of the Christ )

Don't even get me started on this......

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back