Status
Not open for further replies.

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
I am having some issues with my B5 S4. I would like to check the MAF for proper function VIA VagCom, but I am not sure how to go about it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
Thank you, UWE. Hopefully this will lead to my boost loss issue!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Boost should be checked in block 0x01-08-115 third and fourth field for request verse actual MBAR made in fourth field.

Please post a complete auto-scan......

Is this car modified?

Heads up......... Y pipe boot is a bitch and like to tear/leak underside at TV and MAP.
Inspect it!

Reactions: Uwe

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
I should have included a little more insight, to allow you more knowledgeable fellows lend a hand. My s4 is a basic "stage 2" with full, catless exhaust, SRM sidemount intercoolers and a tune for 16 psi.

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
I do have a boost gauge as well.

Here is a basic run down of the "symptoms" I have experiencing...

What causes our engines not to hit the suggest boost level? My car is just a basic "stage 2". Tune for 16 psi. It use to peak and hold a steady 16psi, might drop to 15psi.

It's been an annoying problem for a little while but I don't beat on the car all the time so it was put on the back burner. The issue at first was, boosting 13 maybe 14 and tapering to 11, along with a weird surge when I would let off while giving it full throttle. Replaced a few vacuum hoses that had slow leaks, now I'm seeing a consistent 14 with a taper to 12, no surge.

710n diverter valves checked out ok.

N75 valve checked out ok

Boost leak was repaired

What else causes the car not to get to 16psi like it use to? My next step is to look at the MAF and clean that, see if anything changes.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well now that you have stated attributes truthfully.
You still have failed to post the scan and you can edit the last six of VIN#

Stage JEW usually has emission monitors deleted so is that the case.
Trims wont mean shit if this is the case............

VCDS can be used in conjunction to your boost gage to check it.

How about doing a log for the channel I aforementioned when condition exists?

I personally think you are on the wrong path.
Being evasive with information will only result in a poor diagnostic path.

Why are you on the air mass kick anyway? ......explain please

I bet you have a boost leak still or fuel issue.............causing an unknown limp.

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
I am certainly not being "evasive" with my information, just explaining my situation the best way I can.

The reason I am on the MAF kick is basically a lack of knowledge about the situation, I am researching and asking questions everywhere I can, and the MAF has been something that has been brought up in the conversation.

I've run VagCom with no fault codes.

Much appreciation to everyone involved in helping me diagnose this issue and teaching me along the way!

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
Just went out and ran a few logs with blocks 32 33 and 115. Also ran anther scan for codes, coincidentally this is the first time on 3 years I've had and engine code come up (including last week when I scanned). So this should be interesting lol. Looking forward to figuring this out!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I mean evasive by not meeting the needs for people to help you in the forum with the requested data or mentioning aforementioned boost leak up front.

Then why not post the auto-scan?
Everyone here will tell you to post an auto-scan.
Even though there are no codes........ maybe another conflict/limitation exists that isn't seen in DTC's

So what you tuned with?:p

If there are no fault codes..........speculation is you can attribute that to lazy tuning I described before for stage JEW.
More than likely...... deletes of the diagnostic stack are set to zero, or always ready/OK/picking up those saved pennies.

A cheap tune costs more in the long run........ than the money saved or improper advisement through convoluted advertisements.

It is recommended you flash to stock/get second ecu and fix the DTC's that are needed to find the solution.

Logs of tests that won't operate are worthless.

Let me know if I can be of help with a data transfer or backup ecu for off road use or proper smog unit.

Don't waste money on parts you don't need until you are sure.

If you thought the MAF was the limitation......... you could simply unplug it to verify and adapt around it to check.

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
You are 100% correct on the cheap tune. It was "tuned" when I bought it from a local guy. No idea what exactly the parameters and settings are. I am gathering the data for the codes now. and Going to figure out how to get the log data loaded for you to see.

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293

Series 1 (Blue)= RPM

Series 2 (Purple)= Engine load

Series 3 (Red)= Boost pressure specified

Series 4 (Green)= Boost pressure actual

Take it easy on my charting, lol it's my first attempt. And yes it is a picture of my computer screen, my "shop" laptop wont connect to the internet.

Last edited:

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
Here are the codes I pulled today. I should probably erase these and re check because the other day I did unplug the MAF while the engine was running to see if the engine sound changed. (just poking around mainly.

20150317_184053_zpswzyrpedp.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Well the misfire would be the first thing to cause a problem......
I would investigate that.

The MAP sensor value tells me either the Y boot is leaking/installed wrong or you have a stuck closed waste gate maybe across banks

Keep in mind boost opens the WG via the N75
If it doesn't allow boost to open the WG via the N75 , you will result with compressor surge a could be the cause of induced leaks/torn boots etc.

When logging boost...... I prefer in raw numbers.
You can pick out deviations of 150-200 MBAR real fast side by side that would give you that limp turbo mode.

Someone apparently deleted the codes for deviation but forgot the limp mode........:p
Your better off cause it saved the engine a head gasket maybe...

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
While I had the N75 removed the other day, I did give the vacuum line for the wastegates a few shots of air to see if they were opening, the passengers side I could visually see was operating. I could hear the drivers side. Today after work I can get it in the air, and manually operate the wastegates, if I can get to them.

I will certainly look in to that cylinder 5 misfire, that one has me scratching my head. Think I should start with the coil pack and spark plug? I currently have NGK BK7RE plug in the car, probably 8k miles on them.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Exactly my point.....
Please post a complete auto-scan and look into what I have already stated.

Lets see if boost is being shut down with a log with the deviation in text....... after correcting the miss.

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are referring to as far as the auto scan, but I posted everything related to the engine, that was via the complete scan. I have another code for headlight leveling switch and a central locking pump run time but...

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
When I get home tonight, I will get the raw numbers posted. Just have figure it how to get that information from the excel spreadsheet to the forum.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCBt6d42-Fc

This may help............

There are reasons for requesting data a specific way.

It helps keep everyone on the same page.

You had no problem running your mouth "I have no codes" bla bla bla
Then when you scan........ you absolutely do have codes, with the yet again crummy/data screen shot.

For the record :
Codes are not the only thing being looked at...............

Time to follow directions
STOP thinking what you think is not worth your time trivializing the requests.
You are the one asking for HILFE!

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

dubblrest1985

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=174293
I still don't quite understand why it is that you think I am lying to you or not showing you everything I am doing? The auto scan YouTube video is exactly what I did, I will copy and paste it when I get home from work to show you that the data I received from the scan is exactly what is pictured above. If I am missing something, please enlighten me via pm. Again, I appreciate your assistance but apparently you are under the assumption that I am not being upfront with the information and data I am showing and telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back