Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 11 of 11

Thread: 09 q7 roof leak

  1. #11
    New User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to dig a old thread up, but the issue is still going on for owners! Just wanted to share my experience with my leaking roof, since I did the repair myself. I wanted to make the cheapest repair possible, but also one that will last a LONG time. It cost me 4.50 / $6.22 to repair it. Initially my driver side (RHD) had water on the foot well /matt, but when I inspected all 4 corners of the drainage, all of them were on their way out or already gone and started to leak. The chances are, if one is leaking they all will be very very soon.

    Its very easy to do. You don't need to drop the roof liner completely. You only need to reach your arm in on each corner, by dropping just the corners. The fronts are easier to do, i'd say. The rear needs your arm going in under the liner a little way more than the front!. But overall its a simple job even for the competent DIYer. It took me 1 hour in total. In fact, it took me longer to put the sun visors back on that to do the entire job!...they can be a fiddle to put back, but easy to take off.

    I ADVISE YOU TO FIX THE PROBLEM BEFORE IT OCCURS! OR FIX ALL 4 CORNERS EVEN IF ONLY ONE IS LEAKING (OR NONE AT ALL) IT CAN SAVE YOU 3K+ IN DAMAGES!.

    What you need:
    - T25 TORX BIT and screwdriver for it or ratchet to remove all the parts holding the roof liner on
    - WEATHER RESISTANT ADHESIVE (i used everbuild stixall like this one: https://www.bcprofiles.co.uk/everbui...yABEgJfvvD_BwE)
    - A flat head screwdriver.
    - A HEAT GUN/LIGHTER OR SOMETHING TO HEAT THE PIPE UP TO MAKE IT SOFT.
    - A sharp knife to cut the hose at the base
    - A pair of pliers or something that will help stretch the pipe once heated up.
    - CABLE TIE (optional)


    FRONT


    REAR



    For the fix, I CUT the pipe right at the base of the white part, then I heated the pipe up so that is becomes flexible, i stretched it quite a bit so that it now goes OVER that white part rather than sitting inside it. I used black adhesive glue, which i think is used on house guttering repairs. Its water proof and tough. ONTOP of that i used a small cable tie. It is now secure as hell, all 4 of them. I checked the car 2 days later after it had been raining a lot.....DRY FLOORS! and NO DRIPS from the repair. After you've made the repair you can open the sunroof up and tip water into the drain holes, then check if its leaking.


    This is one of the pipes before the fix...



    This is where i cut it... the reason i left part of the pip inside the white part is because it reinforces it. plus the 2 spots of glue used at factory are quite strong.



    After i cut it you could clearly see where the gaps are.



    This is my fix (sorry bad lighting)


    There is other people making the fix on youtube, but no guide on how to take the parts off. I hope my guide is accurate as I did do the job a couple of weeks ago now, so Im trying to remember everything I did.

    Hope that this helps others out and gives others confidence in repairing the job themselves.
    Last edited by jaisunny; 02-22-2018 at 05:46 PM.

  2. Likes Uwe liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •