How to read wiring diagrams - the video (draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
For your review, this is part 1 of 2 for learning how to read wiring diagrams. It is suggested you download and print out the following PDF so you can follow along:

http://www.ross-tech.com/training/materials/Reading%20Wiring%20Diagrams-1.pdf

Mainly looking for feedback from wiring newbies... did the video help you understand the VW/Audi wiring diagrams better? Is there something in the video that needs further explaining? Please let me know here or by private message.

Thank you.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Jef,

Not a newb; but I'll give some feedback anyway. That was very good, easy to follow and has some good descriptive narration. Everybody learns something new every day; and for me it was the tiny symbol that depicts the male/female aspect of the plug coupler. I couldn't find a typo today neither Jef. :p

To everyone else,
Guys 'n' Gals, quality production like this and continuous product development is what we're getting from RT throughout the lifetime of the product. I'm glad Jef left the video editing screenshots in at the end, so we may catch a glimpse of the work that goes into things like this.

:vc

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I'm pleased to see VW has finally started equipping the New Betta with blinker fluid heaters! It's about time. I'm not sure how one temperature sensor is supposed to cover all four reservoirs, but I'm sure the engineers over in Germany have it covered. Maybe self-regulating PTC heaters? Wiring gauge sees quite well engineered for the load, but I do wonder about starting up in winter with a 50-amp load switched on terminal 15 instead of 75X. Heater load will be at its worst, and there will be no load relief during starter engagement, nor does it have CAN connectivity for intervention load management. (*)

A couple of nitpicks for when you sober up...

• F36 clutch pedal switch path could use a */** annotation to denote what equipment (manual vs automatic) uses each current path
  • The brake light power supply relay is referred to as both J488 and J448
  • May want to harmonize formatting for sub-zero values to 0.X; some are shown as .X
Jason

(*) I love it. First wiring diagram I've actually enjoyed reading. I'm just being a shit disturber. :p

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Jason The Proof Reader! :thumbs:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Jason The Proof Reader! :thumbs:
LOL... wasn't trying to really. I glanced it over and thought it was funny, looked closer and realized the muffler bearing controls and blinker fluid heaters were actually pretty valid looking circuits, and studied even closer trying to understand how it worked.

Now I kind of want to retrofit a blinker fluid heater. Who wants cold blinker fluid? :o

Jason

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
For your review, this is part 1 of 2 for learning how to read wiring diagrams. It is suggested you download and print out the following PDF so you can follow along:

Mainly looking for feedback from wiring newbies... did the video help you understand the VW/Audi wiring diagrams better? Is there something in the video that needs further explaining? Please let me know here or by private message.

Thank you.

Jeff: Nice work!! Good intro into the murky mysteries of VW's wiring diagrams.

So many questions come to mind:
What is the teaching objective for the video set-. who is the target audience - what level of expertise do you want to deliver after all the modules are viewed - will there be a self assessment module - Is access only open to registered cable users?

Given RT's long association with VW (notwithstanding, I get the sense that it is somewhat acrimonious at times), I assume that you are aware of SSP 873003 - How to read wiring diagrams.pdf. There seems to be lot's of copies floating on the net. It might be a good reference document for viewers of your video albeit I'm not sure of the copyright issues which other sites seem to get araound-somehow.

Anyhow, great stuff- teaching others is the most laudable of pursuits (IMO)

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
who is the target audience
Those who don't understand VW's wiring diagrams. There's a shocking number of such folks, and not just amateurs or enthusiasts either, but people who fix cars for a living.

I assume that you are aware of SSP 873003 - How to read wiring diagrams.pdf.
Yes, of course we are. We asked VW for permission to use some bits of their stuff and were refused, hence blinker fluid heaters and such.

-Uwe-

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Yes, of course we are. We asked VW for permission to use some bits of their stuff and were refused, hence blinker fluid heaters and such.

-Uwe-
Minor correction boss.... We could get permission at a big big big fee...... We opted to say no to that. Over $7k to use one wiring diagram. And who knows what the renewal fees would have been. Obviously, VWoA has not desire to promote training and learning about their vehicles.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Minor correction boss.... We could get permission at a big big big fee...... We opted to say no to that. Over $7k to use one wiring diagram. And who knows what the renewal fees would have been. Obviously, VWoA has not desire to promote training and learning about their vehicles.

What-$7k for one wiring diagram? That's pure extortion!

Isn't it in their commercial interest to have as many of their customers as possible understand these things? Isn't the value proposition for VW the likelihood of more spare parts sales if a greater number of owners have confidence in DYi.

Or is their thinking that the sale will happen anyhow, so better to have the stealers do the work?

Am I being too cynical?

PS: how then do the other web sites get-away with freely(?) Making the SSP document available?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------

Isn't it in their commercial interest to have as many of their customers as possible understand these things? Isn't the value proposition for VW the likelihood of more spare parts sales if a greater number of owners have confidence in DYi.

Or is their thinking that the sale will happen anyhow, so better to have the stealers do the work?

Am I being too cynical?

PS: how then do the other web sites get-away with freely(?) Making the SSP document available?

Your questions match ours. One would think an educated customer is a better customer. But it would seem that they have a different view. We can speculate about that view all we like but only when they share their view will understanding commence.

I also agree with Uwe that their lawyers have not caught up with those posting other documents. Rest assured if we copied their SSP here, they would waste little time in threatening a law suit.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Your questions match ours. One would think an educated customer is a better customer. But it would seem that they have a different view. We can speculate about that view all we like but only when they share their view will understanding commence.

I also agree with Uwe that their lawyers have not caught up with those posting other documents. Rest assured if we copied their SSP here, they would waste little time in threatening a law suit.

Bruce: thanks for indulging my cynicism (also Uwe). But I shouldn't let my incredulity distract from Jeff's excellent work - long may the "Alpha Squad" prevail!

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
  • F36 clutch pedal switch path could use a */** annotation to denote what equipment (manual vs automatic) uses each current path
  • The brake light power supply relay is referred to as both J488 and J448
  • May want to harmonize formatting for sub-zero values to 0.X; some are shown as .X

Those items have been corrected now.

So many questions come to mind:
What is the teaching objective for the video set-. who is the target audience - what level of expertise do you want to deliver after all the modules are viewed - will there be a self assessment module - Is access only open to registered cable users?

The target audience is really anyone who will be doing automotive service for VW and Audi. But it is geared more towards professionals just getting started with VW/Audi. After the courses, one should have a basic understanding of VW/Audi diagnostics, a foundation to build upon. No plans on self assessment modules, just print out the paperwork and follow along with the videos. Anyone will be able to view the courses as they go online.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^ Jeff -thanks for the Reply. Don't take this the wrong way, but I have to ask this question (it has been nagging at me for a while).

Did you model your head attire on Ned Kelly -our famous bush ranger of the late 19th century? The sartorial similarities are remarkable - albeit I note the absence of the indentations from the police rifle bullets in your helmet!! - no offense intended!!

dAbAbYJ.png

Last edited:

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
That is pretty damn steep for training usage of one wiring diagram, especially if (as Bruce alluded to) it's not a perpetual license. I wonder if that includes all the diagrams, and is maybe intended for publishers like Haynes and Alldata. If so, that actually might not be a bad price for what you get, although it isn't what Ross-Tech was looking for.

It might be in VAG's interest as a whole, but it might not be in the interest of the department or division that's in charge of this. VAG does dump a ton of money into products like ODIS, Elsa, ETKA, erWin, etc. They charge for those products accordingly. I'm sure there are profit-and-loss statements for that department, and some suit's year-end bonus depends on that P&L looking good. I'd bet that's why they cut off Bentley Publishers a while back.

No automaker seems to have a comfortable relationship with their DIY community. They depend on the loyalty, but I'm sure they feel like they're missing out on revenue too. I would guess they draw the line at people trying to profit off those materials. There's a certain site, I'm sure you know, that's been hosting copies of almost all VW SSPs for many years now. VAG hasn't seen fit to pursue them.

I think Ross-Tech would have been perfectly fine using a sample of a VW wiring diagram. An excerpt taken for training and educational purposes, given away without charge, that doesn't affect the market for the original material falls squarely within the fair-use exceptions of US copyright law. Of course, if you already have an acrimonious relationship with VW, why poke the bear? Even if you would win in the end, there's no need to buy your attorney a yacht. Jef did a really kick-ass job with the training mock-up, and it'll do the job nicely.

Jason

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
That is pretty damn steep for training usage of one wiring diagram, especially if (as Bruce alluded to) it's not a perpetual license. I wonder if that includes all the diagrams, and is maybe intended for publishers like Haynes and Alldata. If so, that actually might not be a bad price for what you get, although it isn't what Ross-Tech was looking for.
One drawing was our understanding for that fee. We would have been able to reproduce and to put it on our web site with acknowledgment of the source.

It might be in VAG's interest as a whole, but it might not be in the interest of the department or division that's in charge of this. VAG does dump a ton of money into products like ODIS, Elsa, ETKA, erWin, etc. They charge for those products accordingly. I'm sure there are profit-and-loss statements for that department, and some suit's year-end bonus depends on that P&L looking good. I'd bet that's why they cut off Bentley Publishers a while back.

Not sure what led to the demise of Bentley/VWoA relationship but it had to do with Right to Repair and the need for VWoA to place the information on the web. Bentley also published to the web and the smack down came after they had done so.

As to the point about a profit center, VWoA had no policy in place for a request like ours. We asked because we expected trouble if we used their stuff without permission. Maybe the reason others get away with posting VWoA materials on the web is that they don't bother to ask.

No automaker seems to have a comfortable relationship with their DIY community. They depend on the loyalty, but I'm sure they feel like they're missing out on revenue too. I would guess they draw the line at people trying to profit off those materials. There's a certain site, I'm sure you know, that's been hosting copies of almost all VW SSPs for many years now. VAG hasn't seen fit to pursue them.

No they have not pursued them. Haven't a clue why. However, if we posted their material, they would be at our door.

I think Ross-Tech would have been perfectly fine using a sample of a VW wiring diagram. An excerpt taken for training and educational purposes, given away without charge, that doesn't affect the market for the original material falls squarely within the fair-use exceptions of US copyright law. Of course, if you already have an acrimonious relationship with VW, why poke the bear? Even if you would win in the end, there's no need to buy your attorney a yacht. Jef did a really kick-ass job with the training mock-up, and it'll do the job nicely.

Not sure you are correct Jason on the use in the eyes of VWoA. We were very specific about what we planned. Originally, we were talking about training classes - both in person and in video. We were talking about giving diagrams as handouts. They knew the plan. Their price was for that intended use.

As to Jef doing a really kick ass job - yes he did! I had opportunity to teach with his materials in late January. We were invited to speak to a local chapter of the ASA about VAG diagnostics. The audience was shop owners who did little or no VAG work but wanted to get into it. Santos and I decided that we should talk wiring diagrams - something they had asked about because they did not know how to read them.

One guy in the room was doing VAG work and guess what tool he used? But even he learned from Jef's materials. They want access to the video because they want their techs to learn all this.

I agree ... Kudos to Jef. It is all his work and it is awesome! Anyone guess why it is easy for me to manage the Operations of RT? I got Kick Ass people like Jef: Dana, Peter, Andy, Sebastian, Santos, Helen, Karri, Jen, Sage, Tom, Olga, Yanping, Eric, and Shaun. With talented dedicated people, not much stops the success they create. Add to that, they love having fun together and you have a great team! Uwe should be pleased with the team he brought together.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm sure you know, that's been hosting copies of almost all VW SSPs for many years now. VAG hasn't seen fit to pursue them.
Depending on where they're hosted, it may not be practical to do so.

I wouldn't call our relationship with them acrimonious. There really isn't much of a relationship at all. Besides, they're much too big to have a unified view. Some of the folks there like us and view what we do in a positive light and others don't.

As for fair use, you can use it as a defense, but it doesn't keep someone from suing you in the first place. Since I'd rather not feed my lawyers more than I really have to, I'd prefer not to push very close to the edge with anything like that.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back