Introduction and first question

Angie B

Reaction score
Hello. Super excited to be in the forum. I have a 2012 Volkswagen EOS Komfort. I’m having issues with the convertible hard top. I first starting having issues with one of the strings but I fixed that myself along with the cable in the trunk that popped out. Now when I try to put the top down it gets to the point where the trunk should close and the pump is making noise like it’s trying but it won’t close the trunk.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,
Angela

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi and welcome.

Do you have VCDS, or can you find someone locally who does so you can post a scan?

-Uwe-

Angie B

Reaction score
VCDS

Hi and welcome.

Do you have VCDS, or can you find someone locally who does so you can post a scan?

-Uwe-

No but I would like to purchase one. Can you recommend one please?

I’ve already been to the VW dealer and they want to charge me $200.00 for a diagnostic and $1700 to fix a broken string and one of the flaps that won’t close. I fixed both of those issues by myself.

Thank you,
Angela

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Last edited:

Angie B

Reaction score

Angie B

Reaction score
Hi, I have a CAN OBDII scan. Can I use that? Also, I’m not receiving any error codes. Will the VCDS still scan and provide me with a code telling me what may be going on with my convertible top? Thank you.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Angie: hi. I'm delighted to read a female-like name on this forum (regardless of whether the name aligns with the gender -it's a lamentable deficiency nevertheless, IMO)

Perhaps not surprisingly because of the title on the top of this page and because it is sponsored by the good folk @ Ross-Tech, this is a forum dedicated to VCDS products and their users.

I've seen other manufacturer's scan reports posted on here (very occasionally) in the past and Uwe has generally been gracious regarding the misdemeanor - but it is still fundamentally a case of a non VCDS user asking for help and relying on a competitor's device to provide supporting information.

In a "nirvana" type world, this wouldn't matter - but in commerce, more pragmatic ideals prevail - alas

Hope this doesn't diminish your stated enthusiasm to become one of us. Dave's suggestion is a perfect way forward - unless you can find a neighbor who owns a VCDS cable/dongle

Don

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Hi, I have a CAN OBDII scan. Can I use that?
With our VCDS software? No.

An OBDII scanner will only give you emissions related information on a VAG car. VAG decided that they would not provide any additional information via an OBDII scan. For that additional information, one has to access the VAG proprietary information through a VAG capable tool.

EOS roof controls have nothing to do with emissions. An OBDII scanner will be of little help in resolving such problems.

Also, I’m not receiving any error codes.

Right - my point made. The OBDII scanner is going to show emissions related codes only.

Will the VCDS still scan and provide me with a code telling me what may be going on with my convertible top?

VCDS will show information from the controller for the EOS top. That information, along with lots of other information found on the VAG official documentation and repair procedures should lead to a successful repair. We produced a video on the EOS top: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3owlG0ICF_s You may want to look at the Ross-Tech Wiki for more information.

As to what others have said about posting information from other tools, they are correct. We are not going to help you using another tool. You are welcome to use all of our free resources but direct help in this forum is intended for our paying users. That is as Don indicated owing to our pragmatism. We do not know other tools. We do know VCDS. We do not have unlimited resources to help all comers. We have very finite resources. So we will always help our users before helping non-users. I hope you can understand that.

Angie B

Reaction score
Hello. Thanks everyone for your comments and I completely understand.

Thank you,
Angela

Back