HEX+CAN no communication

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
It was working fine, though I did have intermittent issues with it losing communication. I just assumed it was a loose connection at the OBD II port, but one day it just stopped communicating and nothing I did could change that. Now I've tried it on several different cars and three different computes, and no dice. The light comes on, but I can't get past the test page. I've taken the cover off and everything looks fine in there. No broken wires or signs of moisture. Any ideas?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Our records show you owning an RS-232 HEX-COM+CAN from early 2005, is that correct?

How are you connecting it to "several different computers"? RS-232 ports are almost impossible to find on computers these days...

-Uwe-

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
That is correct. Every time I've found a computer that was newer/faster/better than the last one I get it. I've never gotten rid of the old ones, so I literally have three different laptops and a desktop with serial ports, and it won't communicate with any of them.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, then we can rule out a dodgy USB<->Serial converter. :)

I assume you're aware that a HEX+COM+CAN must have power from the car in order to communicate with a computer, right? I.e. you can't just plug it into the RS-232 port of a desktop. Without power on the car side of the interface, VCDS won't be able to find it at all (much less be able to communicate). I mean no offense, but I'm putting this here for the sake of completeness.

Beyond that, I'd say: Test for continuity of the wires between the interface and the DB9 plug on the end. I don't have a HEX+COM+CAN handy, but IIRC, only three of the 9 pins are used (pins 2, 3, and 5)?

-Uwe-

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
OK, then we can rule out a dodgy USB<->Serial converter. :)

I assume you're aware that a HEX+COM+CAN must have power from the car in order to communicate with a computer, right? I.e. you can't just plug it into the RS-232 port of a desktop. Without power on the car side of the interface, VCDS won't be able to find it at all (much less be able to communicate). I mean no offense, but I'm putting this here for the sake of completeness.

Beyond that, I'd say: Test for continuity of the wires between the interface and the DB9 plug on the end. I don't have a HEX+COM+CAN handy, but IIRC, only three of the 9 pins are used (pins 2, 3, and 5)?

-Uwe-

For sure. No offense taken. I attempted to establish connection with it plugged into the computer and a car with the key on. BTW, when I plugged it into the car the yellow/orange light came on, and when I turned the key on it turns green, so everything appears to be working there. And I think you're right about it only being three wires. When I opened up the interface to make sure everything looked OK in the case I'm pretty sure it was only three. And when you say pins 2, 3, and 5, you're referring to the DB9 side of the cable, correct? I'll check that tonight and see what I find.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
And when you say pins 2, 3, and 5, you're referring to the DB9 side of the cable, correct?
Affirmative. Should be TxD, RxD, and GND.

-Uwe-

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
OK, I opened the interface end and tested continuity and I'm getting continuity with the brown wire to pin 2, red wire to pin 3, and yellow wire to pin 5. Any other ideas?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, I opened the interface end and tested continuity and I'm getting continuity with the brown wire to pin 2, red wire to pin 3, and yellow wire to pin 5. Any other ideas?
Not off the top of my head, no.

-Uwe-

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
Do you still offer the repair service?

I'd consider the upgrade service, but this one probably wouldn't qualify due to it not working at the moment, correct?

Fred's Imports

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=16454
Your broken interface is most likely the best one they ever made. I have 2, bulletproof units. The new wireless dongle sucks, I spend more time trying to connect to my laptops than it takes to just plug the thing in and use it through the USB port.

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Your broken interface is most likely the best one they ever made. I have 2, bulletproof units...

I agree. Today our user with similar call me and asked about a possible malfunction.

And asked about a possible malfunction. I told him to open the unit and check the wires. Since everything was OK, I remotely (Any Desk) scanned his PC and found the wrong PORT settings. Someone or something assigned COM port no. 5 instead of1.

QATKY9T.jpg

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
I agree. Today our user with similar call me and asked about a possible malfunction.

And asked about a possible malfunction. I told him to open the unit and check the wires. Since everything was OK, I remotely (Any Desk) scanned his PC and found the wrong PORT settings. Someone or something assigned COM port no. 5 instead of1.

QATKY9T.jpg

Yep, that's exactly what mine looks like inside. I took a picture, but have no where to host it now that photobucket sucks.

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
That's right. Uwe certainly knows better but I believe that very few of these devices have broken down, even after 15 years... :cool:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Yep, that's exactly what mine looks like inside. I took a picture, but have no where to host it now that photobucket sucks.
I use imgur.com to host pictures now - it's free and doesn't add watermarks.

Reactions: Uwe

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
Yes, we do. Please shoot an e-mail to Support@Ross-Tech.com.

-Uwe-
I finally got around to calling and sending this in for repairs, and they said they no longer offer the repair service for these. Any other ideas? Does anyone know any third party vendors that might be able to fix it? They did offer the upgrade service, so would the Hex-Net Pro be worth it at $399?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
They did offer the upgrade service, so would the Hex-Net Pro be worth it at $399?
Do you need the Pro or would a 3 or 10 VIN limit be OK?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Reactions: Uwe

16vCorey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=13586
Do you need the Pro or would a 3 or 10 VIN limit be OK?
I could probably get away with the 10 vin, but I'm always tinkering, flipping, etc. and have probably used my old cable on 30 different cars. For the difference in price I'd probably go with the Pro to be on the safe side. I just haven't heard much about the new interfaces so I'm not sure if I should upgrade or pursue trying to get mine repaired. I'm a wee bit let down that they said the repair service was still available, then said it wasn't, but everyone makes mistakes, so no harm, no foul.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I just haven't heard much about the new interfaces so I'm not sure if I should upgrade or pursue trying to get mine repaired.
If you're likely to want to use your cable on a 2019 or newer VAG vehicle then you're going to need a HEX-V2 or HEX-NET - VAG changed the message size and content so much on the newer vehicles that the HEX-CAN and older simply couldn't have a firmware update to make them work.

Since your current cable is broken rather than spend money/time having it repaired it would seem to me sensible to bite the bullet and upgrade now.

Back