Pick-a-ROD possible on control units that already have valid data?

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Heya,

Is it possible to trick VCDS into giving me this prompt when accessing (for example) my engine ECU? I’m looking for differences between the coding of two cars with the same (or nearly the same) ECU, yet i don’t get an ‘experimental coding’ prompt when accessing the long coding helper with my ecu, and the normal coding descriptions are few and far in between, with a lot of undocumented bits and bytes.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't think what you are asking for will help you. The data sources we build the ROD files from generally do not included any coding info for Engine modules, and we can't include something that doesn't exist. So I doubt that picking a different one would get you what you're looking for, because "experimental" coding data can only be shown if there is something to show.

-Uwe-

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Sometimes when using modules on test stand incorrect .rod is selected, so I join in this question, if different .rod could be selected.

Such feature really isn't needed for standart user, but I really need it sometimes as an advanced user.

Thanks!

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
I don't think what you are asking for will help you. The data sources we build the ROD files from generally do not included any coding info for Engine modules, and we can't include something that doesn't exist. So I doubt that picking a different one would get you what you're looking for, because "experimental" coding data can only be shown if there is something to show.

-Uwe-

Thanks for the response! Saves me running around looking for something that doesn't exist in this particular case.

I would in different cases be curious if it could be possible though to select a different ROD...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would in different cases be curious if it could be possible though to select a different ROD...
The facility for choosing a ROD file exists for cases when VCDS can't figure out which one it should use. This can occur when a module has been retrofit into a chassis in which it doesn't belong.

I believe that giving people the ability to load arbitrary ROD files under most other circumstances would be ill-advised and lead to much frustration.

-Uwe-

Back