A8 2015 - VCDS 'SRI option' Display Output queries ...

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
The box below shows a [slightly edited for space reasons] display from the first stage of the SRI option on the VCDS front menu from my 2015 A8 in the UK. I use this to see what the service state is and then press 'Cancel', so I don't change anything.
Code:
Thursday,06,August,2020,20:23:52:22069
VCDS Release 20.4.2:  SRI Reset-SRI1.CLB -- Data version: 20200730 DS317.0
WAUZZZ4H4GN002801
Control Module Part Number: 4H0 920 910 R       Labels:  .*4H0-920-xxx-17.clb-SRI1
Component:TDieGB------- H53 0803, Coding:33A608001B412600010000
Operation: Please select an operation -- 1/3

Channel                                                                Description                         Current val.
IDE00342-ESI: Resetting ESI                                            ESI: Service Reminder Status        no warning
IDE00510-ESI: distance driven from inspection                          ESI: Distance since inspection      9700 km
IDE00511-ESI: time from inspection                                     ESI: Time since inspection          371 Days
IDE00515-ESI: oil quality                                              ESI: Oil Quality                    good oil quality
IDE00517-ESI: soot entry                                               ESI: Soot Quantity                  4600 km
IDE00518-ESI: thermal load                                             ESI: Thermal Load                   10900 km
IDE01153-SIA: maximum value of distance to service                     SIA: Maximum Distance to Service    14500 km
IDE01154-SIA: maximum value of time to service                         SIA: Maximum Time to Service        365 Days
IDE03349-FIX: Max. distance until next mileage-related inspection      FIX: Maximum Distance to Inspection 29200 km
IDE03350-FIX: Maximum time until next time-dependent inspection        FIX: Maximum Time to Inspection     730 Days 
IDE03351-FIX: Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection FIX: Distance since Inspection      7900 km
IDE03352-FIX: Time since last time-dependent inspection                FIX: Time since Inspection          310 Days

1) Is the text listed under 'Channel' read straight from the ECU [that is, the ECU is coded in English] or is that information translated into English from German?
2) Is the text under 'Description' read from the ECU or is that a Ross Tech interpretation of the 'Channel' text?
3) Is the list of IDE*** variables shown in this display consistent across all markets or does it vary by market? [US doesn't use Extended Service, so do US A8 owners see the same ESI information in VCDS when they perform the 'SRI'?]
4) Is the distance information printed in km in all markets?
5) I guess "ESI" stands for Extended Service Interval, but what does "SIA" and "FIX" stand for?

Thanks - Julian

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, none of that the text is read from the car. It comes from VCDS and will vary depending on what language VCDS is being used.

The IDE (and similar) labels are as consistent as VAG chooses the make them across different makes, models, and instrument clusters. We can only be sure that they will not change between different language versions of VCDS.

We cannot be sure that the distances will not necessarily be in km in all markets. It depends what units the cluster wants to send in a channel.

I don't have any official info, but I would think that SIA stands for Service Interval Anpassung (Adjustment) and FIX stands for Fixed interval values (for the inspections).

-Uwe-

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Thanks for your prompt reply Uwe;

So with my computer background, I'm assuming from what you said that "IDE00342-ESI" is the 'key value' for the value data and that IS in the ECU and that you have some sort of 'understanding' of what all of these IDE values mean, which you translate appropriately into all the languages that VCDS supports? [Or does everyone get their VCDS SRI output in English? ;)]

Julian

Oh and something I've just thought of; I know that VCDS works on the SW level of the ECU to determine its logic; do all D4 A8s get the same SRI output, including ESI variable values, even if they used Fixed rather than Longlife Servicing?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
No, ""IDE00342" (and similar) are language-independent 'tags' for the strings that VCDS displays. We use VAG's string tags for sort of thing because makes life easier when comparing data that VCDS presents in whatever language with data that ODIS presents in whatever language.

So the tags will be the same no matter what language VCDS a person is using, but the string may or may not be the same, i.e. it may or may not have been translated into some other language. If you look at, for example, the 2000 or so adaptation channels found in an Mk.7 BCM, you will see that quite a few of those strings are in German, no matter what language VCDS is being used, because nobody has taken the time to translate them into any other language. It would be a herculean task to do that by hand. We've looked at doing it by machine, and there are some promising approached to this, but I suspect at this point, it might be counter-productive since people have become quite accustomed to seeing "Leuchte" and don't like it when things change.

So if you are trying to write instructions for people using VCDS in languages other than English, tell them to pay attention to (or search for) the tags rather than the strings.

do all D4 A8s get the same SRI output, including ESI variable values, even if they used Fixed rather than Longlife Servicing?
I'm not sure. I think it would be a mistake to assume that nothing has ever changed over roughly 9 years that the D4 was in production, and that it's the same for all markets.

I don't like to make assumptions like that, which is why when someone asks for assistance with things, I almost always ask them to show us the data from their specific car.

-Uwe-

JulianHicks

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=265735
Ah, should have guesed it was more complicated than I expected :banghead:

Thanks for your extended explanation ...

Julian

Back