Audi tt 225 mk1 oil leak from hole at top crankshaft seal.. what's missing?

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
After assembling and installing my motor fresh from the machine shop, while checking the timing belt via manual rotation, I was getting an oil leak flowing down at the top of the crank seal.

Oil is coming out the circled engine hole and flowing down over the crank. I'm only turning it by hand so it's not getting on the timing belt but if I cranked or started the engine it would be all over.

The seal doesn't seem to be designed to cover that hole. Did the engine shop take out a plug? Am I missing something else?

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/VcCWkDj

9Y3sfDw.jpg

B2IkSCh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since this appears to have absolutely nothing to do with VCDS, moving to General VW/Audi Repair.

-Uwe-

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Hi har2969,
I cannot really see from the angle of the image, but is there no core plug in the hole or is it just leaking?
Regards HMC

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
There is not a core plug. I did not know a core plug was a thing. Perhaps the machine shop removed a core plug when they cleaned the block. I'll start googling...

Thanks for the feedback!

harr2969

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=294329
So.. apparently the machine shop left out the oil galley / core plugs.. I installed the ones on the front, but apparently the ones on the back / trans side were not tight or not installed. Got to drop the transmission and fix that now. :( At least the engine started up.

Reactions: Uwe
Back