Status
Not open for further replies.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Inspired by Jerry Kieffer's comments in another forum, I purchased a Sherline 5400 instead of a dedicated bushing tool.

The first modification is an LED task light.
Using some old clock brass, I milled a plate and attached a 12V LED grid to help my old eyes see the work.
An old wall transformer plugs into the power strip on the side of the tool chest to power it.

The second is the DRO, which no doubt voided my warranty... :rolleyes:
An identical case was acquired and I moved all the inputs to the rear.
Encoder cable ends were consolidated to two RJ45 ethernet connectors (X/Y and Z/T), and the power jack was moved as well.
The new case sits atop a RAM Mounts articulating arm.

The whole kit and kaboodle is attached to a 10 x 16 x 1.5” Boos Block hard maple cutting board and sits on a Homak rolling tool chest.

Since the number of pictures was getting out of hand, I consolidated them into the following slideshow.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Welcome back, Jake! :)

-Uwe-

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Welcome back, stranger!

Since the number of pictures was getting out of hand, I consolidated them into the following slideshow.
I have viewed this video, and while I don't fully understand what's going on here, it is clearly Serious Horological Business.

Jason

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
This is the mill I was telling Uwe and Jack about.
Instead of spending $1000 on a dedicated horological machine, a mill can do so much more and do what the bushing tool does.

Wanted to share the from box to modifications to final setup in case others were interested in hobby machining.

More info here: http://www.sherline.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back