How to check driving battery condition from GTE?

muppis

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154065
Hello there.

Due to the world wide known reason my drivings with current TDI dropped from daily 200 kilometers to near zero, I've started looking after 1st gen (MY 2016-2017) GTE (Passat Variant, of course). Mileage of used cars currently on sale here in Finland is around 100 000 km to 180 000 km. As driving battery warranty end in 160 000 km, is there way to check condition of battery with VCDS?
And I own second hand Micro-CAN cable, but I think that doesn't work with those so I'd like to know which other cable works with GTE's (besides newer HEX-versions)? Cable compatibility chart I founded ends to 2014.

Sunny greetings,

muppis

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Officially, we are aware that the uCAN will not cover all modules in the 2016-2017 model year. That said, since you have the unit, you could try it and see what it sees. If it is less than what you need to maintain the car, then you need a new generation product - the HEX-V2 or the HEX-NET. HEX+CAN will give similar results to the uCAN.

On the battery condition, I don't think that car has battery management module. In a car that does, you can check battery conditions. But I don't think the GTE has it.

muppis

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=154065
Thank you for quick reply.

Then I need to go and test the cable to see how it works.

-muppis

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A Micro-CAN should be mostly OK on those cars.

Take a look here. There is a lot of data from an Audi A3 e-tron in that thread. It has an almost identical hybrid drivetrain as a Passat GTE.

Note however that batteries can fail unpredictably as well. Here's an example.

-Uwe-

Back