Audi 80 2.3 aut 1992 K2 Short to ground

lars99

Reaction score
Hi forum.
I have run into a problem with a K2 Short to ground problem in my old car. Tried a Lot of things, removing modulets and fuses.
Ign off and communication was fine, No Short to ground.
Ign. Om and IT threw the K2 warning again testing connection.
I finally narrowed it down to the jettronic engine unit. When i unplug it i can communicate with the ABS and autobox but of course not the engine.....
Am I right assuming it must be a problem with the injection unit?

lars99

Reaction score
It should be that intelligent! And when the unit is disconnected I can communicate with the ABS and gearbox.

The blinking guide you link to is nice and I might give it a try even though my connectors are black and white, and not black and brown like in the guide. As far as I could see the guide was for cars up to 1991 and mine is a 1992. Don't know if that matters?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There are cars of that vintage where the Transmission and ABS support "Rapid Data Transfer" but the ECU does not.

However, I really don't know if this is one of them or not. Have you checked a proper repair manual for this car?

I suppose I would try disconnecting the K2/L pin to see what happens.

-Uwe-

lars99

Reaction score
I will try disconnecting the one connector and see what happens.

But the K2 line must go to the ECU because with ignition on and ECU attached it throws the error. Removing the 15 amp engine fuse or disconnecting the entire ECU, error goes away. So even with the ECU connected but with no power I get no errors and are able to communicate with the rest of the car.
And that's why i thought that there must be something wrong inside the ECU, that when it gets power, something shorts. I even tried to remove all connectors from the engine sensors. But then again in my mind that should not result in a K2 ground error, I think...

I'm having a hard time finding any good repair manuals.

Back