Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: How to create a complete record of new car (fresh from factory) coding and adaptation

  1. #1
    Verified VCDS User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    How to create a complete record of new car (fresh from factory) coding and adaptation

    Hello Folks:

    Yesterday, I took delivery of a new 2015 Golf Highline with multimedia (NAR spec).

    Before I rev up my laptop and VCDS cable and get in there and screw things up beyond all possible recognition, I would like to create a complete record of controller coding values and adaptation channel values "fresh from the factory", in other words, a record - in the greatest possible detail - of how the car was configured the day I picked it up.

    I know I have seen a post, or perhaps an article on the Ross-Tech website that explains how to do this. But, despite searching for the past half-hour, I can't find this article.

    Would some kind soul point me in the correct direction? I am, of course, itching to get in and fool around with the car, but I'm sufficiently long in the tooth to know it would be prudent to records ALL the original values and settings before I do this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Michael

  2. #2
    Verified VCDS User DV52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PanEuropean View Post
    Hello Folks:

    Yesterday, I took delivery of a new 2015 Golf Highline with multimedia (NAR spec).

    Before I rev up my laptop and VCDS cable and get in there and screw things up beyond all possible recognition, I would like to create a complete record of controller coding values and adaptation channel values "fresh from the factory", in other words, a record - in the greatest possible detail - of how the car was configured the day I picked it up.

    I know I have seen a post, or perhaps an article on the Ross-Tech website that explains how to do this. But, despite searching for the past half-hour, I can't find this article.

    Would some kind soul point me in the correct direction? I am, of course, itching to get in and fool around with the car, but I'm sufficiently long in the tooth to know it would be prudent to records ALL the original values and settings before I do this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Michael
    Michael. Hi. You are a very wise man! Creating a database of your car's "Virgin" settings will be an invaluable reference source when things go pear-shaped ( which they invariably will do).
    There are others here with far more expertise than me where VCDSis concerned but I did this when I first got my cable like this:
    First: the easy bit was getting a record of the coding strings in all the control modules - this I did through my first autoscan. I created a simple list from the autoscan text file. See RT's video below.



    Second: the more time consuming bit was making a complete set of maps for all adaptation channel settings. Your highline has over 3,500 of these and about 40% of these reside in the BCM.
    I wrote a small paper on how to do this 2nd bit which is HERE but the RT video for this bit is below:



    Hope this helps
    Last edited by DV52; 02-22-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

  3. Likes PanEuropean liked this post
  4. #3
    Verified VCDS User golfi_vend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tartu, Estonia
    Posts
    2,108
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing Pan(I hope thats ok to call?) knows how to make autoscan and adaption map, based on previous car and mod history.
    Otherwise, I can't think any other value to record. Correct me if I'm wrong...Uwe, Dana Sebastian.... ?.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

  5. Likes Uwe liked this post
  6. #4
    Benevolent Dictator Uwe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    27,702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yep, Auto-Scan and Adaptation Maps of every module.

    Ross-Tech would be happy to keep off-site backups of those for you if you send 'em to us.

    -Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

  7. #5
    Verified VCDS User Zenerdiode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Newcastle, England
    Posts
    1,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch out for the 'Security Access Required' lines in your Adaptation maps too.

  8. #6
    VCDS Distributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest, temporary rename \Labels directory
    Then write 2 in "Debug level" in "Options"
    Then make an Autoscan.
    Then save your Autoscan and adaption files for all Controllers some where as reference.
    This will probably take about 1/2 hour, especially Controller [09].
    Remember to rename Label directory back again.

  9. Likes Santos, DV52, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
  10. #7
    Verified VCDS User GaryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NEtech View Post
    I would suggest, temporary rename \Labels directory
    Then write 2 in "Debug level" in "Options"
    Then make an Autoscan.
    Then save your Autoscan and adaption files for all Controllers some where as reference.
    This will probably take about 1/2 hour, especially Controller [09].
    Remember to rename Label directory back again.
    I don't have access to my car at the moment so I can't test this but out of interest, what does renaming the "\Labels" folder in conjunction with a debug level of 2 actually do?

    Does the lack of a "\Labels" folder cause something special/different to happen?

  11. #8
    FoRT jyoung8607's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    2,439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    I don't have access to my car at the moment so I can't test this but out of interest, what does renaming the "\Labels" folder in conjunction with a debug level of 2 actually do?

    Does the lack of a "\Labels" folder cause something special/different to happen?
    IIRC, debug level 2 makes VCDS automatically generate a controller channel map for anything that doesn't have a label file.

    With the labels directory missing, nothing will have a label file, so it will create a channel map of everything.

    Jason

  12. Likes Uwe, GaryM, DV52, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
  13. #9
    Verified VCDS User GaryM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    400
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a neat trick then I guess you only get PLA / PLB files using this this method but probably easy enough to open them in notepad to work out what is what.

    What about controllers that need a security access code? Does it try and determine the login codes for those automatically or do you need to create maps for those particular controllers manually using the Controller Channel Map screen?

  14. #10
    VCDS Distributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    I guess you only get PLA / PLB files using this this method but probably easy enough to open them in notepad to work out what is what.
    Here we are talking about Golf 7 (AU/5G), all Controllers are UDS (I would think). So all files are saved as adpmap-xxx-xxx-xxx-x.csv, with all values for adaptation lines (channels).

    What about controllers that need a security access code? Does it try and determine the login codes for those automatically or do you need to create maps for those particular controllers manually using the Controller Channel Map screen?
    If there should be any controllers that need login code, for these UDS Controllers, you then need to make those CSV files one by one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •