How to create a complete record of new car (fresh from factory) coding and adaptation

bloggo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=198143
I would have thought that if the admap was shortened it would be classed as truncated!!

All my truncated lines are error channels.

Does this mean that this is the limitation of VCDS as it only saves lines without error channels?

Perusing your admap I notice that you have RLS information whereas I do not. Would this be the reason why I am unable to get the "Rain Closing" tweak to work, as "RLS Close_Glazing" is classed as an error channel in my module?

Why do you have this information and I do not?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
A question for the RT experts:

I have carried out the admap procedure for module 09 but find that several lines have been truncated. I am using Beta 15.3.0 and tried saving in csv form which amounted to 1795 lines of data.

It appears to me that the missing lines are from the subsystem modules, although I am just guessing.

Do I need to enter the debug and insert 2 then use pla files to obtain a full adaptation file or is this a bug?

Many thanks
Bill.

Bill: hello again. Not sure if this will help, but here's a list of the adaptation channel count for the BCMs in my data base. Please be aware, that I have found when making admaps on my car that the count does vary depending on the software version that I use (I did raise this matter with the nice folk at RT - click HERE to read these discussions)
Cheers
Don

RjDIkuE.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

bloggo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=198143
Hello Don,

Thanks for the link; very interesting although still confusing; to me anyway!

I did notice from an old admap that I had 1766 lines but on the latest admap 1795 which is what you have experienced and your admap is 1759, as we appear to have similar vehicles this is expected. What confuses me is that the data is scrolled on the screen as it is downloading so I would therefore assume it would be saved. I repair CNC machines and when I download data I receive what is displayed unless I omit "0" data.

I would prefer to save the complete admap data but it seems this is not possible at the present time.

Leaving aside the admaps at the moment perhaps you may be able to help with another query regarding your "Cluster Illumination" tweak. I noticed on your instructions that you have provision on the settings page for the screen brightness to be altered. I do not have this available on my settings so do you know if this can be activated from VCDS or may this be only on the software for Australian cars?

If my admaps are of any interest for your database please advise and I will send them to you.

Bill.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hello Don,

Thanks for the link; very interesting although still confusing; to me anyway!

I did notice from an old admap that I had 1766 lines but on the latest admap 1795 which is what you have experienced and your admap is 1759, as we appear to have similar vehicles this is expected. What confuses me is that the data is scrolled on the screen as it is downloading so I would therefore assume it would be saved. I repair CNC machines and when I download data I receive what is displayed unless I omit "0" data.

I would prefer to save the complete admap data but it seems this is not possible at the present time.

Leaving aside the admaps at the moment perhaps you may be able to help with another query regarding your "Cluster Illumination" tweak. I noticed on your instructions that you have provision on the settings page for the screen brightness to be altered. I do not have this available on my settings so do you know if this can be activated from VCDS or may this be only on the software for Australian cars?

If my admaps are of any interest for your database please advise and I will send them to you.

Bill.

Bill: as I indicated in the thread to RT, my expectation was that the database entries for these control modules would have been more stable across software version. And, largely they are stable - but there are also some odd variations (as we have both observed). I empathise with the Benevolent Dictator's response, it can't be easy writing software for these modules with such scant information from the parent company!

I guess that this issue isn't so important in models that rely mostly on coding strings to hold this data. But, MQB platform vehicles appear to emphasise adaptation channels -at least this is my perception (which may be entirely incorrect). I've dealt with the issue by retaining copies of RTs obsolete software on my clunky old laptop. If I can't find a particular adaptation channel with the current software, I reload an old one- sometimes I need to do this a couple of times, but eventually, I'm able to find it. I'm now resigned to this fact, so for me, it's more of a (minor) annoyance that something of major concern.

As for your observation about the way that adpmap process polls channels, my experience has been that data base in the polling software is much larger than the database in the control module. The only entries that are "returned" by the adpmap process appears to be those channels where there is a match in both databases. So if you watch the screen when creating adpmaps, there will be lots of "missed-channels" - but this is a good thing because there is no point logging these missed channels as there is no entropy in this information.

I'm glad that you have an interest in my instrument cluster illumination tweak. I'm still struggling with my understanding of the operation of dimming_adjustment_curves , but I've managed to extract a few "secrets" from those obstinate damn channels!

The answer to your question about access to the screen adjustment is in my apology. Unfortunately when I first wrote the instructions, I incorrectly referred to the CAR button on the escutcheon plate for the infotainment unit. I should have referred to the MENU button ( it's on the bottom RHS). I have since fixed the error on my post and I have also changed the value of the "anchoring-number", X5. I have now made X5=hex64 because it's a much better number (I think that round numbers like decimal 100 have a nice resonance). If you implemented my original set of values, I suggest that you try the new curve. Again my apology - my only excuse is old age and a fast diminishing mental capacity, precipitated in the main by too much red wine and a fondness for single malt!

Yes, I'm always interested in getting access to more BCM adpmaps (a minor obsession of mine). I'll PM details of my email address - thanks for the offer
Cheers
Don

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Nice picture Don where did you get that from?

Keith: Hi. Don't be too impressed with the picture. It's just a simple précis of information in a database that I created from admaps that various folk have generously sent to me. The database (which now holds 14 x mk7 models from around the world) is contained in a spreadsheet that compares the adaptation settings for the BCMs of the cars listed. I have posted various versions of the spreadsheet on dropbox for those who have an interest in these things- which is not many, I assume. If you are similarly inflicted with this interest, you can download the latest spreadsheet (version 6) HERE.

Once you have the spreadsheet downloaded and open, just use the MS Excel "=count" function to get the total number of adaptation channels for each of the active columns (or, you can simply highlight all the channels in a column and read the count number at the bottom RHS of the screen) - easy peazy, lemon squeezy!
Don

dgp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380715
I’m very new to this so please excuse my ignorance.
If I make a couple of long coding changes and a couple of adaptation changes, then revert both of them back to the original settings, is my car again in the virgin state as far as running a complete admap?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I’m very new to this so please excuse my ignorance.
If I make a couple of long coding changes and a couple of adaptation changes, then revert both of them back to the original settings, is my car again in the virgin state as far as running a complete admap?
If you revert them, it should be yes.

-Uwe-

dgp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380715
If you revert them, it should be yes.

-Uwe-

Thanks Uwe,
I just wasn’t sure if the code strings changed permanently due to changes.

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thanks Uwe,
I just wasn’t sure if the code strings changed permanently due to changes.

dgp: Arrhhhh........ I sense a man (woman?) with a disciplined personality and degree of prudent caution- both excellent attributes when entering the magical world of VCDS!!

If I may be so bold as to add Uwe's advice - don't tread too cautiously in the early part of your learning curve. There is much value in making the occasional (deliberate) error: it's a great learning environment!!

Don

dgp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380715
dgp: Arrhhhh........ I sense a man (woman?) with a disciplined personality and degree of prudent caution- both excellent attributes when entering the magical world of VCDS!!

If I may be so bold as to add Uwe's advice - don't tread too cautiously in the early part of your learning curve. There is much value in making the occasional (deliberate) error: it's a great learning environment!!

Don

Thanks Don,
I try and get an understanding of things before I stuff them up, which does happen on occasion.
I agree though, that the learning curve takes on new meaning when you actually have to learn from your own mistakes.

Right now I am struggling to lodge code into a post on the VWW forum, even though I loaded my new cars virgin settings here in the same way. I did read a post or guide about it, but now can’t find it.
I will try the same thing here to see if I can get some help.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
"^^^ dgp: I didn't realize that you come from the land down-under (where women glow and men chunder). I regularly contribute to VWW too - the protocols are very much the same on both forums.

To add code to a post (in both forums) simply type "
Code:
" then copy_and_paste the code then type "[/code]" (without the "). That's it - it's called adding "code tags". I've deliberately suppressed the function in the sentence above by using the "noparse tags" (something that Uwe unknowingly taught me) - but when done properly you should get something like this:

Code:
copy_and_paste your code here
Don

Back