Golf Gti Mk6 BiXenon Downgrade

davearcaro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=2013
I've looked far & wide and found many references for upgrading a mk6 from halogen to bi-xenon but not going from bi-xenon to halogen (I am selling the Gti and I want to keep my bi-xenon headlights for a Jetta Sport Wagon)
The wiring appears to be do-able by repinning and swapping the 10 & 14 pin connectors. Am I getting into a game of coding "Whack-A-Mole" if I pursue this endeavour? Any references anyone can think of to aid in my quest?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would think it should be doable by reversing the upgrade instructions.

But are you certain that the JSW will physically accept headlights from the GTI? These cars sometimes have differences that aren't obvious.

I'll give you an ancient history example. When I upgraded my Mexican-built Mk.3 GTI VR6 to these clear European spec headlights, I had to cut away a bit of the radiator support to get them to fit.

HL_Closeup.jpg

-Uwe-

Tharkhold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=311665
Huh,

just read up on exactly which modules you'd need to remove from the GTI... the headlights (of course), 14-pin connectors, both AFS (J745) modules/plugs/harnesses, the rear level sensor (G76)/harness as well. A FWD car should only have the rear leveling sensor, while AWD cars have both.

You'll also need to pull the canbus wires from the headlight connectors (pins 1&2)... The mk6 AFS uses canbus to send position information. The Sportwagon will definitively not have canbus wires going into its halogen lights.

I'm not sure, but there might be some wire gauge difference as well since halogens require alot more constant power to be "on" (55 vs 35 watts). Looking at wiring diagrams, T10i/T10j/6 (halo low beams) have 1.5mm2 wires, T14f/6 (HID 'low beam') also has 1.5mm2; while T14e/6 (HID 'low beam') apparently has 2.5mm2. That's odd

You can code the HIDs out of the BCM for sure.

The sportwagen BCM (086?) may not support HIDs though, so that's something else you need to consider. You can always switch the BCM later, though I'm not sure if the immobilizer has anything to do with it.

Sportwagons are *usually* mk6 parts from the dash forwards. Anything aft of the steering wheel will be mk5 ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

davearcaro

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=2013
Thanks

Thanks,

I am going to attempt the swap this weekend... will report back as to the outcome.

Huh,

just read up on exactly which modules you'd need to remove from the GTI... the headlights (of course), 14-pin connectors, both AFS (J745) modules/plugs/harnesses, the rear level sensor (G76)/harness as well. A FWD car should only have the rear leveling sensor, while AWD cars have both.

You'll also need to pull the canbus wires from the headlight connectors (pins 1&2)... The mk6 AFS uses canbus to send position information. The Sportwagon will definitively not have canbus wires going into its halogen lights.

I'm not sure, but there might be some wire gauge difference as well since halogens require alot more constant power to be "on" (55 vs 35 watts). Looking at wiring diagrams, T10i/T10j/6 (halo low beams) have 1.5mm2 wires, T14f/6 (HID 'low beam') also has 1.5mm2; while T14e/6 (HID 'low beam') apparently has 2.5mm2. That's odd

You can code the HIDs out of the BCM for sure.

The sportwagen BCM (086?) may not support HIDs though, so that's something else you need to consider. You can always switch the BCM later, though I'm not sure if the immobilizer has anything to do with it.

Sportwagons are *usually* mk6 parts from the dash forwards. Anything aft of the steering wheel will be mk5 ;)

Back