2007 VW Passat 2.0 TFSi Intake Air Temp high

Sloop1210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=410895
Hi guys,

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Alain, I live in the US and I just got my VCDS last week.

I monitored my Air Intake Temperature (Module 1 - Group 4 in the measuring blocks) while driving the car today and I was surprised to see the temp 20C above the outside temperature. What could cause that?

Thanks in advance.

Sloop1210

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score

0120raptor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=210440
The turbo heats the inlet air. So quite normal

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, the turbo!!

Turbos heat the air by compression ;)

Depending on the ambient air temperature, boost pressure and the turbo thermal efficiency will depend on how hot the Air temperature at outlet gets.

That is why you have an intercooler on that vehicle. Depending on the efficiency of the intercooler, will determine the 'intake' temperature.

Here is a cool little online calculator I found: https://racingcalcs.com/turbo-boost-temperature-calculator/

Not too sure of the turbo thermal efficiency, but you can get the idea if you use 50-75%

Keep on boostin' !

drpeter

Sloop1210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=410895
When asking for assistance, please provide a full Auto-Scan.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?101-How-to-post-an-Auto-Scan

Also, not sure what you mean bv "Module 1". Air intake will most likely be found 01-08-004.4, or as Jack would say, 0x01-08-004.4. And any mods to the car? Maybe a hotair intake? :rolleyes:

What I call module 1 is "Control Module 01-Engine" in the measuring blocks when you select your control module. Not quite sure what's confusing about that. But, as I said, it's my first time using it. So, thanks for giving me more info if "Control Module 01-Engine" doesn't mean anything.

About the mods, not yet.

Sloop1210

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=410895
Hi,

Yes, the turbo!!

Turbos heat the air by compression ;)

Depending on the ambient air temperature, boost pressure and the turbo thermal efficiency will depend on how hot the Air temperature at outlet gets.

That is why you have an intercooler on that vehicle. Depending on the efficiency of the intercooler, will determine the 'intake' temperature.

Here is a cool little online calculator I found: https://racingcalcs.com/turbo-boost-temperature-calculator/

Not too sure of the turbo thermal efficiency, but you can get the idea if you use 50-75%

Keep on boostin' !

drpeter

OK. I know that but my surprise comes from the fact that I read somewhere that the intercooler was supposed to bring the temperature back to pretty much what the outside temperature was. True of False?

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
OK. I know that but my surprise comes from the fact that I read somewhere that the intercooler was supposed to bring the temperature back to pretty much what the outside temperature was. True of False?
False - the intercooler lowers the temperature but saying it lowers it to nearly ambient isn't accurate.

P.S. We still need that Auto-Scan :popcorn: - see my sig for a link to a How-To

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
As a matter a fact sometimes intercooler causes more heat as well as drop for increased distance and plumbing on moron front mounts too!

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Not trying to pick on you or anything... but I'm totally going to pick on you now... :mad:

Any data or references shown in VCDS needs to be documented at such so everyone is in agreement about what we are talking about. To that end, you can't shorten address values. All control modules have a digit value for an address. The ECM is address 01 (zero-one). The same also holds for DTC numbers. Some one may say they have a "0300" or "300" fault code. That is not a real DTC number, but P0300 is, as well as 000300. P0300 being random misfires and 0003000 being an issue with a transmission fluid temp sensor. Cutting things short or referenced in a non standard way causes confusion. And if you see something you aren't sure about, ask for clarification... unless it is from Jack, he is a jerk. :D

Again, not trying to pick on you, just want you to establish "best practices and procedures" so we are all on the same page... this is just part of the learning curve. Also, any update on posting an Auto-Scan?

Back