HEX-NET Generic OBD-II Screen/OBD-II Fast Init

jster

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=252432
First of all thank you for the great product; I've been enjoying using it on my A3! I apologize for asking about an unsupported feature, but I was trying to use my hex-net (via usb) as a generic ODB-II scanner on a 2010 Civic and was a bit surprised that VCDS 20.4 reported this vehicle as not being OBD compatible. After searching here I tried to do some troubleshooting with the "Bypass OBD-II Fast Init" setting, but that is greyed out for me. I couldn't find any reference to it being disabled here or in the release notes, so I thought I would check in to see if this is a PEBCAK issue, not available on the hex-net, or something else?

Thank you for any clarification you can provide!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A 2010 Honda that was made for the US market would have to do generic OBD-II via ISO-15765 (CAN). "Fast Init" should not be relevant on this car, because that's a K-Line thing, and I believe the reason it's grayed out is because HEX-NET doesn't support Fast Init on K-line.

As to why the HEX-NET isn't communicating with that car on CAN, I do not know. In principle, it should. I'll move this to HEX-NET support where Shaun is more likely to see it. Perhaps he'll have some ideas or debug instructions for you.

-Uwe-

jster

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=252432
Thank you for the information and the quick response!

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
What does VCDS-Mobile show if you try OBDII mode?

jster

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=252432
What does VCDS-Mobile show if you try OBDII mode?

Thanks for the tip; everything is working now!

I had updated the firmware via usb and checked a few times/power cycled to ensure it said everything was up to date, but when I logged into the web interface right now it said an update was available. After installing this update, both VCDS-Mobile AND VCDS-cabled can now talk to the car via OBDII. Unless you pushed a firmware update today, I'll make sure to do my updates via the web interface in the future. :)

Thanks again!

Back