Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 mk4 jetta tdi 5-spd 09A Transmission issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know any history of doing transmission service?
    In should be done every 30-40 K, on this transmission only fluid can be change .
    The biggest problem on this transmission is filter, It is inside of the middle transmission and only way to replace it is remove transmission open it and replace it.
    When transmission has not been serviced 30-40K filter gets clogged and restricting flow.
    Also Valve body gets damage at same time.

This is a same type of transmission as Honda had it in 2000-2005 .
    Master Technician for German cars
    Immobilizer/ECU
    /Cluster Programing (Used or NEW) and Key Programing
    Mk6 COLOR cluster in Mk5 -CLIK

email : marinmm2001@gmail.com

2. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    We bought it with 150000 miles. Carfax shows it being at aamco transmission at 119000. The tech that did the fluid change for us said the tranny has been split before. Fluid that came out looked good. It's not that we are too lazy to do the work but more of the fact that it's just me raising my 2 sons while working full time doesn't leave a whole lot of "free time" plus the fact that it's cold as crap out. Garage is heated so I guess if it's considdered best, we can pull the pan this weekend. I would assume I can manually check each solenoid by applying 12v to them to ensure they actuate? Was really hoping I could just add an additive and see how it acts until the weather improves.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo you at least need a valve body. the bores get worn, search sonnax.com and punch up your trans. you can also call their tech line. also the steel seals have ruined one of the clutch drums. to get the valve body off is some work on that trany. with the miles you have stated I think your do for a rebuild.

5. Likes Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow did he post the wrong trany 09a or dose he actually have a dsg trans.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    the scan shows a 09a. jetta,97 are you talking about a dsg.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you mean, but it's the 09a. 5 speed tiptronic auto.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    my initial comment is for 09a trans. I wasn't sure jetta,97 was talking about a dsg trans or 09a. i apologies for the confusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my humble (30 wrenching) opinion, you need to diagnose the best you can first and foremost. You mention the tranny does not do it when you go easy on gas. Well, you gotta tell things like this as it makes HUGE difference. The help you going to get is as good as information you provide.

So, first of all, was the problem always there? When it happen, did it happen all of a sudden or gradually, like slipping a little bit, then more and more. Then we go to TCM data, solenoids, clutches and valve bodies.

You are frustrated and want a quick fix. Dump a can of miracle juice and go. It is not going to happen. You have to do things right and only than you will not waste your time and money and maybe learn something along the way.

Regards, Andy

11. Likes ivagp liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    He bought the car in August I believe. Since then on 3 or 4 occasions he has come to me and tried to explain what it's doing. He was 17 at the time and a computer nerd who does not speak car lingo very well at all. I've driven the car over and over trying to duplicate the problem. Had the fluid changed as we have no real history on the car and as stated, the old fluid looked good. Has t once done the flare in over a month until yesterday when he called me and said it did it 4 times in a row. He came home and picked me up and for the first time I saw it happen. He always tells me it's under light throttle but while watching on VCDS when it happened he was at about 70%. Sorry if I seem hasty or looking for a magic cure but this is the first time Ive actually witnessed the problem and the way he described it to me was hard to comprehend until I saw it myself. As with most things in life, I would prefer to do the easiest/cheapest things first as I dont believe in just throwing parts at something hoping for a fix. If it can be explained the proper way to diagnose (I'm a locomotive electrician, not a vw tech) it would be greatly appreciated. I'm on board to test anything I need to in order to figure out what's actually wrong. Trust me when I say I am all ears and appreciate any and all help and guidance. Big jobs like dropping the pan and pulling the valve body will be difficult time wise for us though, and yes, being in the business I understand if it fails completely I'm forced to take the time. Hoping it doesn't get to that point and can be resolved. Thanks again.

13. Likes Uwe, roth liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    You could try a slightly thicker hydraulic oil to experiment and see what happens.
    I have had good luck adding a 0w-40 mobile 1 to these transmissions with the ATF blended if they are shifting good cold and not hot.

It starts out thin cold so it will work and hot it thickens up the oil to increase PSI.

So far it has helped a few people get back on the road.