2005 mk4 jetta tdi 5-spd 09A Transmission issue

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Mixing motor oil into ATF? Why does this bother me? ;)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Uwe

You know I would not say it without verifying it myself.

I even add marvel mystery oil to ATF and power steering oil.......lift hydraulic oil like from a excavator.........there all hydrostatic systems just different specs.

Rates of expansion are what need to be observed and find the new home of sum p level needed.
Usually only very slight differences.

On old Chevy trans we used to run SAE straight 30 and that was real thick cold but on the farm it worked well in the heat for when we needed the PSI on rota-vators.

I have even run gasoline, diesel and kerosene in ATF to clean it then dump it. You would be surprised what tactics like this will result with and are CHEAP!

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
My confusion comes from one post saying to run thinner oil and one saying run thicker. Seems to me it's a sticking solenoid as 3-4 is the only issue whatsoever. But, I don't claim to know which is why we are here seeking help.

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
the scan shows a 09a. jetta,97 are you talking about a dsg.

No, I am talking about 09A transmission.Manual says it is life time fluid , HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
There is not life time fluid .

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There is not life time fluid .
Sure there is, "lifetime of the transmission".

What they don't tell you is that this lifetime will be a lot longer if you change the fluid with some regularity. :D

-Uwe-

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
So is there anything I can look at in VCDS to confirm or deny what is wrong? Quick recap is that no codes are shown, even when it actually happens. Tried to watch the solenoids but the hex-net seems quite delayed. My experience tells me a solenoid is physically sticking (gummed up, whatever). Basically, is there any general consensus on what the next step should be? Thank you.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So is there anything I can look at in VCDS to confirm or deny what is wrong? Quick recap is that no codes are shown, even when it actually happens. Tried to watch the solenoids but the hex-net seems quite delayed.
VCDS can only tell you what the car knows, and only as fast as the car is willing to divulge it. ;)

My experience tells me a solenoid is physically sticking (gummed up, whatever). Basically, is there any general consensus on what the next step should be? Thank you.
Although I know very little about automatic transmissions (I'm old school and prefer 3-pedal cars), I'm inclined to agree with you.

-Uwe-

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
I tried the output test last night to no avail. Read the wiki page and it doesn't say much.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Shifting from 3rd to 4th involves the disengagement of the N89 solenoid and the engagement of the N92 solenoid, so maybe one of these valves is not be functioning correctly.

After suggesting you check the SSP I grabbed my copy and gave it a 3 min review. The whole thing is a good read .. but page 52 includes a handy chart with the "Off/On" solenoid valves and I came up with a stuck on (mechanically) N89 -or- slow/delay activation of N92 between 3rd to 4th theory. So.. I read through the thread again and Peter came up with the same idea. We could both be wrong :-) but that would be a good place to start if VW sells them separately (rather than a loaded valve body).

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
I didn't see the ssp on the page but have a friend sending it to me.

If I decrease the number of channels I'm looking at in VCDS and just open solenoid activity, will the response time likely increase?

Last edited:

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Those TCMs are made by Magneti Marelli (you'll see the MM vendor code on the case) and I'm not sure of this a case of standardizations lost in translation .. or a bang up job like all of the faulty TT and NB Instrument Clusters .. but one MVB group should result in stable communication/logging.

I would need to dig through my old emails but Eric gave me a rather detailed explanation many years ago of which MVB groups were super special and which ones were normal. I do remember with some clarity that the ones you would use to diagnose a shifting issue (RPM, Binary solenoid info, VSS, etc.) are not the same type. That wasn't an issue with the factory tool because you couldn't view more than one MVB group at a time ... but Uwe spoiled us with VCDS.

Using VCDS made it feel like some combo of MM/VW/Jatco went out of the way to make diagnosis more difficult - but that's my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
Good to know, the other part of the problem is I'm not sure what to even be looking for. I found a chart that says which solenoids activate for which gear and in vcds I can look at the solenoids as a group (where it states 1111011 or whatever) but either I'm too old or it's just too tricky to follow. They change quite a bit and I'm sure it's each gear change, then TC lockup, then unlock, then change gear, or something like that. Greatly appreciating all the help and info. Keep it coming.

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
Yea, cobra actually has the complete set for 269 right now. Still a lot to pay for a guess, so hoping to find a way to confirm diagnosis. If not I guess I'll make a leap of faith. Meanwhile, the owner (my son) is in bed with strep throat while I'm pulling my hair out over this.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
09A-927-750.lbl isn't encrypted so you can open that with Notepad but the MVB 004.4 solenoid info is in a chart format:

004,4,Condition of,Solenoid Valves
; 1xxxxxxx - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
; x1xxxxxx - Solenoid Shift Lock
; xx1xxxxx - Solenoid Valve 9 (N282)
; xxx1xxxx - Solenoid Valve 8 (N281)
; xxxx1xxx - Solenoid Valve 3 (N90)
; xxxxx1xx - Solenoid Valve 5 (N92)
; xxxxxx1x - Solenoid Valve 2 (N89)
; xxxxxxx1 - Solenoid Valve 1 (N88)

If you can get the trans to do it and catch the error while logging with VCDS that may help confirm or deny the N89 > N92 up-shift slip.

If you aren't familiar with the MVB pop-up balloons or Logging these pages may help:
Online Demo / Manual - Measuring Blocks
Online Demo / Manual - Data Logging

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
Ok, when we were in the car last night, I created a log that started before and ended after the only time I saw it fail. My son mentions it in the first post. Problem is, I don't know what to do with the log. Well versed in taking realtime recordings on locos, and when I did it, just used common sense and assumed that's what I was doing. It saved somewhere but when he tried to open it, what he saw is what he posted in post 1. If the answer is hidden somewhere in that log or somewhere else on that laptop, let us know and we will get it to you post haste.

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
Although if it's something physically sticking vcds will show nothing because there is no feedback or interlock signal to tell the tcm if what it asked for actually happened. To which I made the point earlier that I am surprised something rpm/speed related wasn't logged.

Back