Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: 2005 mk4 jetta tdi 5-spd 09A Transmission issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoelectrician View Post
    I honestly think I'll have my son tear it apart to see how everything works and then scrap it. Could never sell it as a "good" transmission.
    You know, there's good money in repairing auto transmissions. That is, if you can look inside one and understand how it works without losing your mind in the process.

Jason

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The day I forked over the money and committed to "helping" do a 6 speed swap confirmed I've already lost what mind I had left.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Next time, buy a manual transmission car to begin with?

Five or six years ago, I went looking for a first car for my son. I found him a two year old high-mileage Golf for cheap. Manual trans, of course.

"But dad, I don't know how to drive a manual!".

"Well, son, if you want my help buying you car, you're gonna learn."

He's still driving that car.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    He actually wanted a manual, but they were hard to find and took top dollar. We bought his Jetta for a good price because it had sat on the lot too long. Dealer said nobody wanted it because it was an auto.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Standard protocol for all VW-Audi automatics.......... seems to be " RUN AWAY! " for last 25 years in lanes at dealer auctions.
    Justifiably so .........
    As the old saying goes.......there isn't a good one in the junk yard or new.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Aw heck, they're usually good until the end of the warranty.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

9. Likes Locoelectrician liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by obamachicken View Post
    So for the simple reason of "why the hell not" me and my father agreed to try and put SeaFoam Trans Tune(1PT of fluid) in it to see if it was just a sticky solenoid that was causing the problem this whole time. We put in the trans tune in on tuesday and since then I have been driving the car normally (as in not anticipating the shift from 3rd to 4th and just letting it shift naturally) while also not trying to stress the car and to let the trans tune circulate throught the system. Today I decided it was time to test it. I went out with a friend of mine with VCDS hooked up showing the trans temp and waited for it to get around 60-65C to mimic when it failed while me and my dad were doing pressure tests along with getting it to shift almost exactly at the "Butter zone" which would be at 2,900rmp's roughly. To my surprise it did not fail even once or seem like it would fail while shifting from 3 to 4th. So after a few attempts I decided to let the transmission get a bit warmer just to see if it was not good enough at 60-65C. So after 15min of driving I got it up to 74C and it stayed there with some movement to 73C but that was about it. After testing to see if it would fail at that temp it did not. Now keep in mind; when I was testing at both 60-65C and 74C I put it through heavy load(Going up a hill), Light load(Going down a hill), and Stander load(Driving down a straight street) and throughout each time it never seemed to me that it would attempt to fail and matter of fact; it shifted alot better than before(Alot smoother and not as jerky from 3 to 4th). Now im not saying that this has totally fixed it or that this is a permanent fix but this shows me (and when my dad reads this) that it might have been a sticky solenoid this whole time. I'm not ending my search for an answer here nor am I going to stop worrying and trying to truly solve this but I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone. Thank you for all your support again, along with this mass amount of knowledge I have learned from all of this.
    # 170 this thread is really bothering me. I don't think anyone learned anything from this thread. imo your intention was never to fix the problem the right way. that trans is a quiet nice when you do the updates to it. many different people can give advice, learn who to accept it from. at the end of the day I don't want someone else to get the wrong Idea when you had already decided that you weren't going to fix this trans.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    From everything I was told over and over again, the trans was not worth fixing correctly. An unknown used 09a was an expensive gamble so we went with a manual. Even trying to get someone to look at the car in my area was nearly impossible. The original intention was to fix it, and we followed nearly every bit of advice we were given. But when we are told the parts to fix it correctly do not even exist, and the parts that do exist cost more than the car, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Everything pointed to internal failure and I nearly bought a valve body (half the cost of the entire manual conversion) to try but once again, if there were internal failures, it was an expensive gamble.

12. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, vwtech liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aw heck, they're usually good until the end of the warranty.

-Uwe-
    Statistics say ..............NOPE!

From everything I was told over and over again, the trans was not worth fixing correctly. An unknown used 09a was an expensive gamble so we went with a manual. Even trying to get someone to look at the car in my area was nearly impossible. The original intention was to fix it, and we followed nearly every bit of advice we were given. But when we are told the parts to fix it correctly do not even exist, and the parts that do exist cost more than the car, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Everything pointed to internal failure and I nearly bought a valve body (half the cost of the entire manual conversion) to try but once again, if there were internal failures, it was an expensive gamble.
    You hedged bets correctly......
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    a used 09a is a very good anchor. I would have bet my rear end "to put it nicely"