Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 mk4 jetta tdi 5-spd 09A Transmission issue

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had trouble answering that because it was quite warm out when we bought the car, and in 4 months it only did it a few times. We are now in the coldest few weeks of the year and it's doing it quite often. He does not drive it hard when cold, but, it has also never failed cold. All failures last night were at 100.0c. In my opinion, the longer we drove, the more likely it was to fail. So logic dictates it's worse when hot. I've driven it 100 miles in a day and never had it fail though.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the kid drive more aggressive than you?
    Does the flex plate/flywheel for TQ converter make any vibrations that we have not been informed of or checked for loose TQ to flex fasteners ?

I am liking thicker oil more and more.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's 18 so I'm sure that while his hands are at 10 and 2 in front of me, he's probably a typical asshole teenager when I'm not around, so it's probably safe to say he drives more aggressive than me. I have felt no vibrations from the driveline whatsoever in any gear, whether it was failing or not. Even when it slips/misses/whatever, there is nothing. Just like it was slipped in neutral, free revs. Have not checked the fasteners but can add that to tomorrow's list if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    You glance away from the forum for a day and when you glance back - there's a Red Hot topic going on!

My experience of autos, is, I've driven a few, worked on none at all. But still, I'd like to pick up a few points. Uwe is always repeating that VCDS (or any VAG scanner for that matter) will only show what the module is willing to tell you. The 100.0C is probably not the exact temperature of the trans at all, it may be the Full Scale Deflection (FSD) of the sensing circuit, or it may be the 'temperature is normal' output by the TCM. Look at every VW/Audi from the late 1990s and when at operating temperature- the gauge reads 90C. Bang on. Stopped in traffic - never budges. So have they made extremely accurate thermostats? No, in the dash firmware the engineers decided anything between 84C and 96C is 'normal' so it displays 90.

I also work in a technical support role and my three tools are; test, measure & recreate. If you suspect a solenoid is letting go, connect a pressure gauge and see if pressure drops when you loose traction. Recreate by (although it may not be easy in this scenario) installing a temporary harness to momentarily switch out a solenoid.

Finally, any hydraulic circuit needs to be scrupulously clean. It takes just one fragment of swarf to unseat a hydraulic control and it doesn't matter how often you drain and refill, it won't budge.

If you persist to the end, you'll realise the symptoms were there from the start.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the manual now and am trying to find where to hook a gauge to test pressure and what pressures to look for. Not in the auto transmission section so the search continues. I miss books with paper pages sometimes.

6. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoelectrician View Post
    I have the manual now and am trying to find where to hook a gauge to test pressure and what pressures to look for. Not in the auto transmission section so the search continues. I miss books with paper pages sometimes.
    Googled found this:

BR, Andy

8. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So pardon my ignorance, but should I be checking the 2-4 brake clutch? Any chance you or anyone knows the thread size so I can try to find a hose and gauge tomorrow? I'm sure I could remove the plug and take it with me but I would probably lose fluid while I'm gone. Still see nothing in the manual about this. (Using the Bentley as its all we could find).

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 02-20-2015 at 07:33 PM.

11. Likes Locoelectrician, roth liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    An interesting read.............when ref PSI influence.

http://certified-transmission.blogsp...pressures.html
    Very very good read that unfortunately makes me second guess everything Ive planned. Haha. Any new thoughts or suggestions? I'm trying to source a gauge set as we speak.

The description of engagement followed by neutral is spot on, and would cause no heat building friction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoelectrician View Post
    So pardon my ignorance, but should I be checking the 2-4 brake clutch? Any chance you or anyone knows the thread size so I can try to find a hose and gauge tomorrow? I'm sure I could remove the plug and take it with me but I would probably lose fluid while I'm gone. Still see nothing in the manual about this. (Using the Bentley as its all we could find).
    2-4 brake is a big clutch, look at page 20 of SSP 232 K3 clutch is very small. In 1 housing (drum), you got K3, than K2 and B2 on outside.

I guess it be 8x1.25 or 8x1.0 but don't know for sure. Do you have a 200 psi trans gauge?

BR, Andy.