2005 mk4 jetta tdi 5-spd 09A Transmission issue

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I honestly think I'll have my son tear it apart to see how everything works and then scrap it. Could never sell it as a "good" transmission.
You know, there's good money in repairing auto transmissions. That is, if you can look inside one and understand how it works without losing your mind in the process.

Jason

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
The day I forked over the money and committed to "helping" do a 6 speed swap confirmed I've already lost what mind I had left.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Next time, buy a manual transmission car to begin with?

Five or six years ago, I went looking for a first car for my son. I found him a two year old high-mileage Golf for cheap. Manual trans, of course.

"But dad, I don't know how to drive a manual!".

"Well, son, if you want my help buying you car, you're gonna learn."

He's still driving that car. :cool:

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
He actually wanted a manual, but they were hard to find and took top dollar. We bought his Jetta for a good price because it had sat on the lot too long. Dealer said nobody wanted it because it was an auto.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Standard protocol for all VW-Audi automatics.......... seems to be " RUN AWAY! " for last 25 years in lanes at dealer auctions.
Justifiably so .........
As the old saying goes.......there isn't a good one in the junk yard or new.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Aw heck, they're usually good until the end of the warranty. :D

-Uwe-

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
So for the simple reason of "why the hell not" me and my father agreed to try and put SeaFoam Trans Tune(1PT of fluid) in it to see if it was just a sticky solenoid that was causing the problem this whole time. We put in the trans tune in on tuesday and since then I have been driving the car normally (as in not anticipating the shift from 3rd to 4th and just letting it shift naturally) while also not trying to stress the car and to let the trans tune circulate throught the system. Today I decided it was time to test it. I went out with a friend of mine with VCDS hooked up showing the trans temp and waited for it to get around 60-65C to mimic when it failed while me and my dad were doing pressure tests along with getting it to shift almost exactly at the "Butter zone" which would be at 2,900rmp's roughly. To my surprise it did not fail even once or seem like it would fail while shifting from 3 to 4th. So after a few attempts I decided to let the transmission get a bit warmer just to see if it was not good enough at 60-65C. So after 15min of driving I got it up to 74C and it stayed there with some movement to 73C but that was about it. After testing to see if it would fail at that temp it did not. Now keep in mind; when I was testing at both 60-65C and 74C I put it through heavy load(Going up a hill), Light load(Going down a hill), and Stander load(Driving down a straight street) and throughout each time it never seemed to me that it would attempt to fail and matter of fact; it shifted alot better than before(Alot smoother and not as jerky from 3 to 4th). Now im not saying that this has totally fixed it or that this is a permanent fix but this shows me (and when my dad reads this) that it might have been a sticky solenoid this whole time. I'm not ending my search for an answer here nor am I going to stop worrying and trying to truly solve this but I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone. Thank you for all your support again, along with this mass amount of knowledge I have learned from all of this.:)

# 170 this thread is really bothering me. I don't think anyone learned anything from this thread. imo your intention was never to fix the problem the right way. that trans is a quiet nice when you do the updates to it. many different people can give advice, learn who to accept it from. at the end of the day I don't want someone else to get the wrong Idea when you had already decided that you weren't going to fix this trans.

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
From everything I was told over and over again, the trans was not worth fixing correctly. An unknown used 09a was an expensive gamble so we went with a manual. Even trying to get someone to look at the car in my area was nearly impossible. The original intention was to fix it, and we followed nearly every bit of advice we were given. But when we are told the parts to fix it correctly do not even exist, and the parts that do exist cost more than the car, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Everything pointed to internal failure and I nearly bought a valve body (half the cost of the entire manual conversion) to try but once again, if there were internal failures, it was an expensive gamble.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Aw heck, they're usually good until the end of the warranty.

-Uwe-

Statistics say ..............NOPE! :banghead:
From everything I was told over and over again, the trans was not worth fixing correctly. An unknown used 09a was an expensive gamble so we went with a manual. Even trying to get someone to look at the car in my area was nearly impossible. The original intention was to fix it, and we followed nearly every bit of advice we were given. But when we are told the parts to fix it correctly do not even exist, and the parts that do exist cost more than the car, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Everything pointed to internal failure and I nearly bought a valve body (half the cost of the entire manual conversion) to try but once again, if there were internal failures, it was an expensive gamble.

You hedged bets correctly......

ivagp

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=95551
a used 09a is a very good anchor. I would have bet my rear end "to put it nicely"

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
# 170 this thread is really bothering me. I don't think anyone learned anything from this thread. imo your intention was never to fix the problem the right way. that trans is a quiet nice when you do the updates to it. many different people can give advice, learn who to accept it from. at the end of the day I don't want someone else to get the wrong Idea when you had already decided that you weren't going to fix this trans.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "fixing it the right way" requires specialized skills and equipment well beyond those that most of us possess? I know good techs who have no compunctions overhauling a manual, but they who won't touch a slushbox because they know they don't have "the right stuff". I suppose a few people probably do have it, but feedback from customers indicates that they are few and far between at best.

So let me pose a hypothetical: Let's say someone had one of these transmissions and really did want to "fix it right". Where should they go to get it done, how much would it cost, and how long would it take?

-Uwe-

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
And let's also remember that this transmission was "professionally rebuilt" 30k or so ago. I'm not sure how anyone could not find this thread informative and learn from it. Thanks again to all.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Agreed........... I can rebuild the transmission from top to bottom.
I aforementioned that the parts in order to do so.......... exceed the cost of labor and a new unit from the dealer.

Back