2009 Q7 TDI fuel injector reset?

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
I recently cleaned the fuel injectors on my 2009 Q7 TDI. I did the passenger bank first, then started the car to see how things went. It ran pretty rough. I, then, did the driver side and tried starting it...it wouldn't start. Would crank, but no ignition. I put the injectors back in their original cylinders, and primed the pump/system via VCDS 3-4 times after each reassembly. Do I need to reset the injectors as you would when installing new ones using VCDS (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/inde...9_and_Injector_Voltage_Adjustment_.28ISA.29)?

Both the rear and secondary pumps sound like and appear to be functioning normally - there is fuel pressure build-up during the forced priming.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Curious: How exactly did you clean the injectors?

How many miles on the engine?

I wouldn't think it's necessary or appropriate to tell the ECU it has new injectors, and I'm pretty confident doing so won't fix a no-start issue.

-Uwe-

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
Curious: How exactly did you clean the injectors?

How many miles on the engine?

I wouldn't think it's necessary or appropriate to tell the ECU it has new injectors, and I'm pretty confident doing so won't fix a no-start issue.

-Uwe-

I took out each injector one-by-one and took them apart very carefully. I verified with each injector the proper order and direction of all components. I cleaned the injectors with carb cleaner. I sprayed through the nozzle and ensured all the ports were flowing properly. One thing I should've done the first time was to replace the seals - I used the old copper seat washers/gaskets, as they looked pretty good to me. However, all the injectors are back out waiting on new washers and o-rings for installation.

115,000 miles.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This is not the correct way to do this and you didn't reference a pop test of them to check full spray atomization or at different rates of pulse to observe the patterns or for static drip/weep?

You do realize that when breaking the injectors & even new, "apart", the calibration changes each time and even if at the same shim or TQ level compressed in case?

On the cheap........

The right way, volume, psi and atomization.....

Last edited:

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
This is not the correct way to do this and you didn't reference a pop test of them to check full spray atomization or at different rates of pulse to observe the patterns or for static drip/weep?

You do realize that when breaking the injectors & even new, "apart", the calibration changes each time and even if at the same shim or TQ level compressed in case?

I was not aware of these things. Is there any way to now use these injectors?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I was not aware of these things. Is there any way to now use these injectors?

Yeah couldn't you send to a Bosch licensed re-builder and have calibration test done so the new data readings can be installed in the ECU controller & to set the adaption as if a new set?

This way all is happy and provided the rest of the fuel system & ECU + harness are working correctly!

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
Yeah couldn't you send to a Bosch licensed re-builder and have calibration test done so the new data readings can be installed in the ECU controller & to set the adaption as if a new set?

This way all is happy and provided the rest of the fuel system & ECU + harness are working correctly!

Sounds like it might work. Know of any said re-builders?

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
Also kinda curious, does the ECU automatically adjust for slight variations in fuel flow and such? Did my "cleaning" process alter these outside the ECU's parameters for adjustment?

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sounds like it might work. Know of any said re-builders?

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/service-concepts/diesel-center

Also kinda curious, does the ECU automatically adjust for slight variations is fuel flow and such? Did my "cleaning" process alter these outside the ECU's parameters for adjustment?

RTFB & SSP

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_365.pdf

JPPSG.......

REMOVE FOD!

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

eTu9lha.png

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
This has been an expensive lesson. As Jack said, I can't just take these things apart. Tolerances are too tight for me to just put them back together by hand. I sent them off to get tested and none of them had flow. As far as getting new ones, it seems only dealers have access to "new" injectors. Distributors have access to "remanufactured". Ordered six remanned which should arrive tomorrow.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you know a simulator can be created by vehicle itself to experiment with injector spray patterns & by shimming changes to establish a threshold using glass jar and extra line while freewheeling the crank and injectors removed by cranking starter?

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
Did you know a simulator can be created by vehicle itself to experiment with injector spray patterns & by shimming changes to establish a threshold using glass jar and extra line while freewheeling the crank and injectors removed by cranking starter?

I didn't. I can visualize what you're describing, but at this point I just want to start fresh and be done with it. Hopefully these injectors will last the life of the vehicle. Much appreciated, though.

Last edited:

apbreaux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=394790
Got injectors installed and car is running great. When running VCDS to reprogram the injectors, a message popped up saying to enter "0" and then save when installing new injectors. I wasn't able to do this. I just entered the new injector codes and that worked fine.

Back