Do I need to adapt a DPF pressure sensor for a 2016 Tiguan?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Right, there doesn't appear to be any provision for adapting a new differential pressure sensor in this ECU. I'm not sure why such a thing was ever necessary to begin with, since the ECU should be able to do this automatically with key-on, engine off, when there intrinsically cannot be a pressure difference across the DPF.

Assuming the OP has cleared the faults in the ECU after installing a new differential pressure sensor, and those faults have returned since then, my gut tells me they are more likely due to an electrical problem than anything else. Check/verify all wiring and connectors relevant to this sensor, including wiggle and load tests.

-Uwe-

elqwan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407579
Won't RTFB tell you this?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Official_Factory_Repair_Information

JPPSG = https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

Core control is aware of what you desire, however, I insist you retrieve it yourself by the proper means aforementioned, not magic answer, this way you learn as do people who read this thread.

Hi,

I completely agree with your motto of teach a man to fish and I appreciate your insight. I will subscribe to erwin and download the repair manual so I have that specific information. I will pick up a pressure tester and see what I come up with.

I will also try doing the adaptation that Dana mentioned. I figured the G450 sensor was for older vehicles because G450 doesnt appear anywhere on the sensor, but my guess G450 has another meaning.

When I have some results or lack of results I will post back here.

Thanks for the direction.

Paul

elqwan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407579
Right, there doesn't appear to be any provision for adapting a new differential pressure sensor in this ECU. I'm not sure why such a thing was ever necessary to begin with, since the ECU should be able to do this automatically with key-on, engine off, when there intrinsically cannot be a pressure difference across the DPF.

Assuming the OP has cleared the faults in the ECU after installing a new differential pressure sensor, and those faults have returned since then, my gut tells me they are more likely due to an electrical problem than anything else. Check/verify all wiring and connectors relevant to this sensor, including wiggle and load tests.

-Uwe-

I did clear the faults after i installed the sensor. The only wiring I have checked so far was the wiring going directly to the sensor which read 4.9 volts.

elqwan

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=407579
So I figured out the issue and yes it makes me feel like an idiot, but the results do confirm a specific suspicion ihad regarding the pressure readings I was seeing from the sensor. I will post the before and after readings. But I thought it was odd that I was seeing negative pressure readings coming from the sensor.
So here is what I did wrong. When I installed the sensor I installed the hoses to the wrong ports on the sensor, so it was obviously seeing very incorrect information, which would explain why i was getting the erratic/intermittent reading on the sensor and a sensor fault. I had a feeling that the negative pressure I was seeing was some sort of sign that the sensor was receiving incorrect data. That is why I double checked the hose routing. On this sensor the hose diameter is the same, so it is possible to mix them up, but I also noticed that where the metal line and the rubber line connect, there is an indent where the metal line should rest. This line had a mark on it where it rested before and I noticed the mark on the metal line was not exactly in the same spot as before, maybe 2 or 3mm back. So this again made me think.
Anyway long story short. I switched the hoses and after a 25 minute drive, no MIL, no codes. So I think the issue has been resolved.

Below are the original readings I had of the pressures, which showed a negative reading. And then the new readings that show positive hPa numbers, which makes more sense to me. So I guess it is a good idea to look at those numbers to see if something looks off.

Thanks to everyone who passed their knowledge on and despite me figuring the issue out, i learned more about ways to diagnose some DPF issues.

Paul

Before -
Address 01: Engine (04L 906 026 JC)

17:53:50
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated 11.94 g
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured 0.11 g
IDE11896 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 1 -16 hPa
IDE11897 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 2 20 hPa

____________________________________________________________________________________
After-
VIN: WVGZZZ5NZHW807260 License Plate:
Mileage: 114431km-71104mi Repair Order:

Address 01: Engine (04L 906 026 JC)

08:31:07
IDE00434 Particle filter: soot mass calculated 6.41 g
IDE00435 Particle filter: soot mass measured -0.65 g
IDE11896 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 1 44 hPa
IDE11897 Particle filter: differential press. sens.1 bank 1: raw value 2 10 hPa

Last edited:
Back