Passat B8 RHD OBD2 connector problem

GBXRS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240134 (NRRT)
My Australian delivered RHD 2016 Passat 206kw R-Line has the OBD2 connector under the dash on the RHD side.

It seems like the OBD2 plug is shrouded by the under dash trim or keyed to suit the factory cable and I can't get my VCDS cable far enough into the opening to connect properly. Has anyone else experienced this? (it fits fine on our Golf Mk 7)

It's like the manufacturer has made it difficult to use any OBD2 connector other than the factory one.

It there an adapter that will fit properly to the VCDS cable and fit into the opening in the panel under the dash? Or a way to mod my cable to fit?

GBXRS

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240134 (NRRT)
My Australian delivered RHD 2016 Passat 206kw R-Line has the OBD2 connector under the dash on the RHD side.

It seems like the OBD2 plug is shrouded by the under dash trim or keyed to suit the factory cable and I can't get my VCDS cable far enough into the opening to connect properly. Has anyone else experienced this? (it fits fine on our Golf Mk 7)

It's like the manufacturer has made it difficult to use any OBD2 connector other than the factory one.

It there an adapter that will fit properly to the VCDS cable and fit into the opening in the panel under the dash? Or a way to mod my cable to fit?

Answered my own question:
The OBD2 socket is keyed.
Snapped out the small bit of plastic on the bottom edge of OBD2 cable and it fits perfectly!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The way the OBD-II socket is installed in some RHD cars is not well thought out by VAG, and also not in compliance with SAE/ISO standards, which specify a certain amount of clearance around it...

-Uwe-

Back