New HEX-V2 won't communicate with 7L Touareg

minklsteiner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=383179
I purchased my HEX-V2 last October or so. It would not communicate with any control modules on my "new" 2004 Touareg. However, it worked fine with my 2017 Golf Alltrack, so I figured the Touareg had some issues. After chasing wiring on the car for a while, I finally broke down and brought it in to a shop. They plugged in their VCDS and it worked just fine. So, after troubleshooting the car for a while, it seems like I actually have something going on with my interface.

What do I need to do in order to get my interface working on the Touareg?

Some relevant info:
- VCDS is updated to version 20.4
- I checked for interface updates through interface config, it says I'm up to date
- The shop used their interface with my VCDS software on my laptop, and it connected to all control modules without issue (I think it was a HEX-NET, but not sure, they said it was a few years old)
- When connected to the Touareg, the Port Test shows K1 and K2 as both "OK"
- I tried "Force K-Line on Engine", "Bypass CAN Init", "KWP-1281", "KWP-2000", all to no avail.
- With Touareg connected, it does not ask if I want to add the VIN like it does on my Alltrack

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A 2004 7L is strictly K-line, and strictly K1 (on pin 7). Your 2017 Alltrack is straight CAN bus on pins 6 and 14.

I'm sure we have other customers with early Touaregs using HEX-V2s, so I can't really picture this being a general problem, but rather something specific to your particular HEX-V2 or Touareg. Please do a careful visual inspection of the diagnostic socket in the vehicle paying special attention to pin 7.

DLC.png

Make sure that pin isn't pushed back or spread in a manner that would prevent the corresponding pin in the HEX-V2 from making contact.

Check the corresponding pin on the HEX-V2 itself as well.

If you don't see anything wrong, can you find another K-line car? Most any VW/Audi prior to 2005/2006 will use the K-Line.

Worst case, we can generate an RMA for you to send the HEX-V2 in for testing here.

-Uwe-

minklsteiner

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=383179
Thanks for the quick response Uwe.

The pins on the DLC and the interface are in good condition. And as mentioned, the car was able to communicate with another VCDS recently. I have not had an opportunity to try it out with another K-line car yet.

Back