Type of Processor

Bradders

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first message on the forum, so hello to everyone reading.
I will be buying a VCDS package fairly soon for use on my VW T5. I have only got a Mac at the moment so need to purchase a laptop or similar and I’ve got my eye on the following -
“Asus Eee PC 1015PEM Seashell Netbook Intel Atom CPU 2GB RAM 250GB HDD Windows 10”. The CPU is an intel Atom dual core and after reading the concerns about single core Atom processors, I was wondering if the dual core will be sufficient. If anyone can assist, I’d be very grateful.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm a bit puzzled here. Searching for the PC, I get this:
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/Eee_PC_1015PEM/

Where they say it uses and Atom N550:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...el-atom-processor-n550-1m-cache-1-50-ghz.html

Which is a discontinued processor that was first introduced in Q3'10. Is this a used machine? I somehow can't picture a machine currently being sold using ten year old CPU...?

Now the real question is: Will it work? I think it will be adequate.

The thing that would worry me most if the PC was built back when the CPU was current is the condition of the battery.

-Uwe-

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
If it used for VCDS only then maybe it will work....

But I'd recomend getting a computer that at least has SSD.
There should be enough on the market costing 50-100eur, that has somesort of i-series processor, SSD and maybe bit more RAM, like 4gb.

Bradders

Reaction score
Thanks guys for getting back. Good point Uwe re the processor it does seem weird. Your comments about the SSD and RAM also seem to make sense golfi_vend.
The ASUS is on EBay and one of a number that are up for sale. I was drawn by the screen size as it will live in the van and only be used for VCDS hence overall size is a consideration. The battery isn’t really a problem as the van has mains on board so I can just use it plugged in. If it will be adequate to run VCDS then it may well do. I think I’ll ask a few more questions before putting in a bid.
Thanks again.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The battery isn’t really a problem as the van has mains on board so I can just use it plugged in.
Be careful with that. Test that it doesn't set up a ground loop before using it that way.

-Uwe-

Bradders

Reaction score
I presume you mean through the ground on the OBD and the earth In the 240v plug?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well, really the ground of the laptop and the ground of the vehicle. If you're going to power the laptop from the vehicle, it is possible that the power supply you're using will put the laptop's ground at some potential other than the vehicle's ground, so check that no (or minimal) DC or AC current wants to flow between those two "grounds" before plugging your interface in between them.

This problem is actually most common with cheap 12V laptop adapters as described on this really old page of ours:
https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces/warn-12v.html

-Uwe-

Back