Opening csv files in Excel

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Bought a new laptop and want to move some old csv files to the Logs folder on the new laptop. The file (tried one, Blockmap) will only open if Excel (Offiice 2010) is opened first and then the "open" command is used. Saving the file as xlsx does not help. Setting Excel as default for csv files in Windows does not help. Not a big problem, just a small annoyance the first time it happens.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
morris: this is not a VCDS problem, but rather an MS Office configuration problem I suspect?

Try this (from Mr Google):
Open Excel from the Windows Start menu
Open the Excel options:
Office 2010, 2013 and 2016: File → Options
Go to Advanced → General
Make sure that Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) is not checked.

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I agree with Don, this is not a VCDS problem, but a Microsoft problem.

However, I'm curious: What does the .CSV file open in if you just double-click it?

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Agree that this is not a VCDS problem, my mistake choosing this forum. Double clicking on the cvs file (any folder) brings up Excel but with a blank screen and dead end.
Tried Don's suggestion but it didn't work for me. My suspicion is that Microsoft' s promotion of Office 365 is the problem. I had problems with Outlook and Word as well after loading my 2010 Office. I chose to not try the "free" Microsoft Office 365 trial and was inundated with irritating/persistent ads. Maybe the interference will cease after so many attempts.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Agree that this is not a VCDS problem, my mistake choosing this forum. Double clicking on the cvs file (any folder) brings up Excel but with a blank screen and dead end.
When Excel gets to that state click on File, Open and in the dialog box that appears click on the box just above the Open button and select the 'Text Files (*.prn,*.txt,*.csv)' option then you should be able to see and open csv files.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Agree that this is not a VCDS problem, my mistake choosing this forum.
Not a problem.

I can't offer any advice here because I'm still using Office 2007. We bought a corporate license for it way back when and I've never seen a compelling reason to update to a newer version. It still does everything we need/want Office to do, including opening .CSV files without fail. :D

-Uwe-

Back