Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi A3 Virtual Cockpit Check Engine Light

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Audi A3 Virtual Cockpit Check Engine Light

Hi Iím new to the forum and to VW/Audi ownership. I just picked up a 2020 A3 premium plus without virtual cockpit. Because I'm not to up to date on VCDS programming I bought a virtual cockpit gauge cluster upgrade kit from a company and paid for remote programming services as well. The install went well and the new cluster is working perfectly except for the check engine light. I have a background in car electronic wiring and programming (mostly Ford products) however I canít seem to get rid of the check engine light fault code U0155; lost communication with instrument panel cluster. Iíve gone over the forum post here (https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...irtual+cockpit) and followed his diagram for the wire pinouts in the new cluster harness to make sure I had all connections. The guy who I paid to program with VCDS said it is an unusual error and has no idea why the check engine light is still on.. I initially thought it was because I was missing pin 1 (H20 connection in OBD) on the new cluster but after adding that wire the light is still on. Iím not sure if more coding is needed, additional wiring, or if Iím simply out of luck. Unfortunately I donít have a screenshot or copy of his VCDS readout but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    May I be so bold as to suggest that the owner of a 2020 Audi, who is doing retrofit/upgrades to his car and is seeking help in this forum, should consider spending the $199 it would take to have his own VCDS so he can post data here?

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

3. Likes DV52, PetrolDave, iichel liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would that help? I honestly don't know, even the owner of a 2020 Audi doesn't always have more money to throw at the problem with no understood solution lol. Do you need my VCDS data readout to diagnose the problem? Because if I knew there was a solution at the end of that $200 then, yes, I would definitely consider. Like I said, my background is in Ford products which do not have different error codes other than what a typical OBDII scanner can detect, which is how I know my error code is U0115. I appreciate the reply however

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hro0250 View Post
    Would that help? I honestly don't know, ..... Do you need my VCDS data readout to diagnose the problem?
    I don't mean to be flip but our clair voyant ways do not work well.. We need information from the vehicle - information that is supplied by a full vag diagnostic tool. Else, all we can do is guess.

Because if I knew there was a solution at the end of that $200 then, yes, I would definitely consider. .... I appreciate the reply however
    When you go to a doctor to ask for help, does he give a guarantee of a solution for the fee you pay?

We never give guarantees that we can provide a solution. However we also know that without the information from the tool, our ability to assist a user who has modified their brand new 2020 model is next to impossible.

Did you consider calling the guy who did the mods and asking him to email you the autoscan from VCDS? You could post "that autoscan" and avoid the investment in a tool that will let you maintain your brand new ride.

6. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would that help?
    Do you need my VCDS data readout to diagnose the problem?
    All I'll say is that this forum has been setup by the makers of VCDS to support owners/users of VCDS with diagnosing and fixing problems with VAG vehicles.

VCDS provides more detail of fault codes (as much as VAG will provide) than most generic OBDII scanners can/do, so a VCDS scan is usually more helpful.

If you are not and don't want to become an owner/user of VCDS then maybe you should be looking for help from Audi owners forums?

8. Likes hro0250, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, I'm 22 and was just asking for some advise, I'm not a seasoned VCDS expert. I apologize that I didn't immediately order an expensive service because someone on an Internet forum told me to, I like to be sure of what I buy. I understand that you are not clairvoyant, I'm not asking for you to work magic. If an autoscan is what is needed to diagnose then I will have to buy VCDS; understood.

Thank you PetrolDave, I understand that they can provide more insight for experts, these are the type of answers I was hoping to get. However this is the free section of the forum, I figured I would see what, if anything, could be done before I jump the gun and purchase things I don't even know how to operate.

As for how doctors work, my mom is currently battling breast cancer so I'm acutely aware of how they operate, thanks.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Did you consider calling the guy who did the mods and asking him to email you the autoscan from VCDS? You could post "that autoscan" and avoid the investment in a tool that will let you maintain your brand new ride.
    If an autoscan is what is needed to diagnose then I will have to buy VCDS
    Your autoscan done by the guy who coded your cluster mod, is still stored on his pc. Call him and ask him to email it to you. It should cost you nothing to get that from him.
    Last edited by Bruce; 06-19-2020 at 01:04 PM.

11. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bruce, I appreciate the help. I asked him but unfortunately he's horribly flakey, I probably should've just purchased VCDS and done it myself from the outset. If I don't hear from him within a day I'll pick up a copy of VCDS and post my autoscan.

13. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave, Bruce liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: I never heard back from him so I bought VCDS, should be here by Wednesday. I had another question however; the company I purchased my virtual cockpit upgrade from also told me to buy an MMI unit from them to activate Nav and all other features on the VC. I wanted to do this anyways but not for the price they wanted. I was able to buy one cheaper on eBay which they confirmed would work in my car, but they need me to send the unit to them for programming? Is this also something I can do myself with VCDS or do they need the physical unit to change internal components? I'm hoping I don't need to send it to Europe and I can configure it to my car myself. Thanks

Edit: My question is why do they need the physical unit to program it when they were able to remotely program my virtual cockpit?

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    they need me to send the unit to them for programming? Is this also something I can do myself with VCDS or do they need the physical unit to change internal components? I'm hoping I don't need to send it to Europe and I can configure it to my car myself. Thanks
    If they are modifying the program in the control unit, then yes, you need to send it to them. VCDS does not allow one to put new programs into control modules. This is referred to as "flashing the module." VCDS allows one to turn on and off options through the control modules ability to be "coded". As I am not intimately familiar with the needs of your modification, I cannot say if the module has to be flashed or it can be mod'd by coding. Maybe others will know more than I.

16. Likes Uwe liked this post