VCDS on New Laptop

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
I am a registered user on an existing computer. have just downloaded the HEX-V2 software (took about 15 min) to the new computer. Is there a way to test it functions before connecting to the car? Thanks

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I am a registered user on an existing computer. have just downloaded the HEX-V2 software (took about 15 min) to the new computer. Is there a way to test it functions before connecting to the car? Thanks
Connect the HEX-V2, select Options and then Test - if it sees the HEX-V2 then all is OK.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I am a registered user on an existing computer. have just downloaded the HEX-V2 software (took about 15 min)

morris: Hi. - I'm not sure of your exact situation, but there is often an assumption that adequate ISP performance is endemic at most (every?) place on this fragile blue planet - which of course is simply not true!

Down here in the very deep south and for reasons resulting from our Government's third-world view about the importance of broadband speed to a country's GDP in the 21st century - my ISP performance is marginally better than the equivalent speed of strapping data packets onto carrier pigeons!! ;)

The size of the latest VCDS software is just short of 50MBs and it grows with each release. Instead of downloading a fresh copy of the full database for every vehicle in the VCDS stable each time that a new release is issued, wouldn't it be good if a user was able to choose either the full database, or just the specific vehicle platforms that she is likely to encounter?

I recently reloaded a copy of MS Office onto my new laptop and I was refreshing to be reacquainted with in the customization facility that allows users the option of downloading features "on first use"!! Yes, MS Office is a tad larger than VCDS, but ain't that a fab option?

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
my ISP performance is marginally better than the equivalent speed of strapping data packets onto carrier pigeons!! ;)
Never under-estimate the bandwidth of a carrier pigeon moving at 20 mph with a 1TB M2 SSD strapped to each leg. :p

wouldn't it be good if a user was able to choose either the full database, or just the specific vehicle platforms that she is likely to encounter?
As you're likely aware, we've done stuff like that with VCDS-Mobile in the HEX-NET, and frankly, it's enough of a PITA that I regret going down that road.

Besides, the OP stated "New Laptop", which would almost intrinsically require a full install.

-Uwe-

Back