Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
When it rains, it pours...

ST?ID=93826
Peter:
June 12 of 2020, 2:42 PM (eastern), a 2004 Touareg with the customer stating the gear selector can't be operated, a lot of dead modules, no communication. Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. (Kessy) is riddled with fault codes, including this one:

00576 - Terminal 15
009 - Open or Short to Ground

This is for the J329 relay, located under the driver's seat. A crappy drawing enters the room:

hdmGY19.jpg

The 86 leg of the J329 relay has battery power to it and the 87 leg goes to the Kessy module to pull ground for it. Has power at the 86 leg, ohm test across the 86 and 85 legs of the relay, good. Can even run a jumper wire from the 85 leg to a ground point, relay clicks and car wakes up. Oh yeah, there water in here under the seat and carpet.:facepalm:

So one of 2 possible issues here, an electrical path failure (wiring or terminal concern) betwen the J329 and Kessy, or an outright bad Kessy. Customer will dig into it.

ST?ID=93841
Jeff:
June 15 of 2020, 11:14 AM (eastern), a 2007 Touareg with the customer stating the gear selector can't be operated, a lot of dead modules, no communication. Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. (Kessy) is riddled with fault codes, including this one:

00576 - Terminal 15
009 - Open or Short to Ground

Blah blah blah why just the other day... 86 leg of J329 has power and yes there is water under seat and carpet. :facepalm: Check that wire from the 85 leg to the Kessy and see what you find.

4:01 PM, Jeff calls back, found a rotted wire under carpet, below parking brake pedal at a weld point. Fixed that up and all good. Has a couple of photos:

OXYZQS3.jpg

nOhPv8c.jpg

Thanks Jeff!

I contact Peter back to relay what I learned and sure enough he also found the issue.... under the carpet, below the parking brake pedal a rotted wire.... and he sent a photo at 4:47 PM:

3uzgieq.jpg

Thanks Peter!

Now I karmawhore this info at 5:32 PM.

Back