Best tablet for use with VCDS ?

andyha2000

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236167
What is the best tablet/touch screen to use with my interface ?

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Best? IMO a probably Surface 7, but you might not like the price. ;)

So what are your criteria for what is "best"?

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Best? IMO a probably Surface 7, but you might not like the price. ;)

So what are your criteria for what is "best"?

-Uwe-

Uwe: A remarkable coincidence of happenstance (tautology intended) in your response because I just indulged myself by purchasing a Surface Pro 7 (I7). Hang the expense, it's only money and life is too short - besides, finance is ultimately my bank manager's problem ;).

Anyhow, given my new toy - I'd value your response to a related question: As you probably know, one of the new features of the Surface Pro 7 is the inclusion of a USB-C port (in addition to usual USB-A port). It's possible to buy a male USB-C to female USB-A connector.

Do you have a view as to whether it's possible to operate a HEX series device (tethered in USB mode) via such a connector from the USB-C port? I know that HEX-NET dongles can be connected wirelessly, but USB operation is required even for these devices (CONFIG).

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Do you have a view as to whether it's possible to operate a HEX series device (tethered in USB mode) via such a connector from the USB-C port? I know that HEX-NET dongles can be connected wirelessly, but USB operation is required even for these devices (CONFIG).
Yes, that should be no problem.

I have a laptop (Dell XPS-13 9380) that only has USB-C ports. I've used a USB-C to USB-A adapter successfully, but I actually prefer using a USB-C to USB-B cable. The only downside is that you give up the screw-lock at the interface. The cable I'm using is this one, but I'm sure there are many others that will work just as well.

One of these days, we'll probably have a run of USB-C to USB-B with screw-lock cables made, but the demand doesn't seem to be enough to justify the substantial MOQ just yet.

-Uwe-

andyha2000

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236167
Thanks for the replies - I suppose my criteria is of reasonable cost but will work without issues like my laptop but with the flexibility of a tablet

I had looked at a surface pro 4 but wasn’t sure if that was a bit overkill

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks for the replies - I suppose my criteria is of reasonable cost but will work without issues like my laptop but with the flexibility of a tablet

I had looked at a surface pro 4 but wasn’t sure if that was a bit overkill
"2-in-1" or "convertible" laptops are getting pretty common.

If I were buying an actual Windows tablet today, I would probably buy a Surface Go 2 because it is reasonably priced, and IMO the right size for a tablet. I would be a bit leery of the "Pentium Gold" processor in the lower-end ones, but the Core m3 in the higher end variants should be more than adequate. Caveat: I have not tested these.

FWIW, my personal Windows tablet is an older Dell Venue 8 Pro. I've run VCDS on it successfully, but I almost never use it for that; I really prefer using my laptop for VCDS.

-Uwe-

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
I use an RCA Cambio 10.1" convertible laptop/tablet. I like it because it was cheap. I paid 89.95 at Walmart.com several years ago. It's a quad core Atom windows 10 machine and if I drop it and break it - its not a big deal. The Surface probably has prettier graphics but the price was right. VCDS does not require a whole lot of CPU horsepower. I also have expensive laptop, but I don't want to risk it in the garage (I can be a klutz).

FWIW, my personal Windows tablet is an older Dell Venue 8 Pro. I've run VCDS on it successfully, but I almost never use it for that; I really prefer using my laptop for VCDS.

I have one of those too. It's a nice little computer, but in my experience (and with my old eyes), I find the 8" display a little too small for VCDS. I prefer a 10.1 inch display. Anything bigger than that gets more expensive because of Microsoft.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have one of those too. It's a nice little computer, but in my experience (and with my old eyes), I find the 8" display a little too small for VCDS.
Yeah, I definitely need to use my strongest pair of glasses with it! :o

-Uwe-

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Dell Rugged 7202 or 7212

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
7212: $1,999.00 -- Ouch!

That makes the Surface Pro 7 look like a bargain! :eek:

-Uwe-
Dell online - yes
Ebay - more than half price

rockster1

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=517917
hi lads whats every using now 3 years on from the first post, as im sick of using my laptop

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
hi lads whats every using now 3 years on from the first post, as im sick of using my laptop
After my Chuwi Hi10 died I searched around and have been using a Lenovo Yoga6 2-in-1 running Windows 11 Pro for the last 2 years and find it easier to use as it has a (foldable) keyboard and I can use a Bluetooth mouse when not in the car.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I really like my Surface Go (which replaced Dell Venue 8 I mentioned 3+ years ago after I dropped it on a tile floor and broke the display).

However, I suggest getting the upgraded one with the Core i3, 8GB & a proper 128 GB SSD rather than the base version with the lame Pentium, 4 GB, & eMMc storage. I have the better one one. My son bought the base one, and the difference in speed is very apparent.

-Uwe-

AINils

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=56975
Dell Rugged 7202 or 7212
Yes agree, use a 7212 by myself.
In germany you can buy these as refurbished (after business leasing), for a small fee in good condition

EuroX

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208579
Surface pro for the win if you ask me.

Back