Thread: Carbon Mass After Used DPF Replacement

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Carbon Mass After Used DPF Replacement

Hi there, I just got a used 50,000km(31,000mi) DPF for my 2014 TDI Wagon installed as a replacement for my old 219ml carbon mass one that had started to complain with a p2002 error code. The mechanic I think replaced the complete exhaust system from EGR filters down.

Approx 700kms after the replacement DPF was installed p2002 DPF, p0401 low pessure EGR filter and p0101 MAF error. I then did the carbon mass reset so it could be relearned. I am now wondering if I can/should tell it how much approx mass is in there using the 1,000 miles = 1 ml calculation?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think you would do have to do this in Adaption channel 15. That channel is actually intended for ECU replacement with an existing DPF, but since there's no approved procedure for installing a used DPF, I would suppose that's the only way to get "correct" values in there. That channel is supposed to get the mileage of the DPF in km divided by 1000, so in this case 50.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

3. Likes treefort liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect, thanks Uwe! Worked like a charm.

I drove the car down the highway a few times for approx 1 hour each time this week to watch the DPF related values. I did a forced regen on the first trip which didn't work at first so tried again and it worked then when home I checked for DTCs and had a P0401. Then during the second and third trips I watched the temperature prior to the turbo fluctuating from as low as 200C all the way up to 800C for a second or two sometimes longer then back down - just like it is going to do a regen but obviously doesn't complete it. That happens every 5 or 10 minutes I would say. Soot calculated is about 8 and soot measured has been 0.0 since the DPF values were reset.
    After that second trip, error codes P0401 EGR low flow and P2459 Regen Frequency were on. After the third trip, only P0401 was on.

I have done an output test on the exhaust flapper valve and it seems to work ok. The G450 exhaust pressure is 0mbar with ignition off and around 3 or 4 at idle. I talked to the mechanic and he said the hoses, sensors, everything to do with the exhaust system was replaced with the 50,000km system.

The mechanic and I are both stumped. If you think I should start a new thread then I will. Any help at all is very much appreciated.

5. Likes Uwe liked this post