Whining noise for few seconds upon startup and drive

cornflakes

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380197
My car 2013 vw scirocco R, automatic, gasoline, 2.0L, APR stage 2+, 70,000 km

I have noticed recently that when I start up the car, put it into drive, and begin to drive off at low speed, I hear a whining noise.
It lasts only for about 5 seconds or so and then goes away for the rest of the drive. No whining noise at traffic lights stop and go.
It only occurs when the car has been parked for a long time and I start up and drive off at slow speed.

Based on the noise I'm assuming it is transmission related and it only happens in 1st gear or low gears(?).

There is no whining noise upon start up or while the car is parked in neutral and revving the engine.
Only when I put in drive to drive off.

I also noticed when parked overnight, the next mornings when I turn on the car and shift into reverse to back out of a parking space,
as I reverse slowly, it will stutter one time ...almost as if someone stepped on the brakes but I didn't and then continue again to move normally after that.
It's just the initial time I reverse out slowly I experienced that short stutter or stop feeling even though I didn't brake.

With these two combined symptoms, I'm assuming it's transmission related. I don't know if it's due to low fluid.
AFAIK, there is no way for me to check the fluid level myself. I do have VCDS...can that tell me the transmission fluid level?

On a third note, I don't know if this is related to the transmission either, but for the longest time I've also felt like the car doesn't accelerate as much as I expect or it doesn't accelerate on a consistent upward band....meaning, when I push down on the gas pedal from a standstill, I would expect it to keep climbing in speed consistently as I push down a little more and a little more. But instead, it seems like there is missing power/acceleration for the first few pushes and then many seconds later it kicks in and acceleration comes on strong. I also noticed during this attempt to accelerate from standstill, the turbo gauge needle will read pretty high (0.5 bar to 1 bar) but the car isn't moving that fast to me for that amount of boost. I'd expect the car to be pulling pretty good at 0.5-1.0 bar.

Now this is only an issue when I'm from a standstill (redlight or stop sign). If I'm up to speed and want to accelerate, it feels good, lots of power, pretty good decent responsiveness...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
automatic
What kind of "automatic"? A scan would tell us that.

Wait, I found one from last year:
Code:
Address 02: Auto Trans        Labels: 02E-927-770.clb
   Part No SW: 02E 300 058 S    HW: 02E 927 770 AL
   Component: GSG DSG AG6     512 3513  
   Revision: 05651213    Serial number: 00001301151219
   Coding: 0000020
   Shop #: WSC 00020 790 00000
   VCID: 2A0D027820F420C7B4D-807E

-Uwe-

Back