Laptop drains battery

ch1z64

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=316572
i have an S3 8p 2010 model with BCM pq35 and everytime i connect Vcds it seems to drain my battery anybody know any reason for this .thanks

Rollux

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=380572
As most cars will draw in the region of 30A when the key is on that’s not unusual. That’s why workshops have battery management systems the car is connected to for diagnostics. Also, if it’s only 2-3mins before dead, then your battery is shot

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
How long do you leave the VCDS cable and laptop attached to the car?

Are you powering the laptop from the 12V socket in the car?

What VCDS cable are you using - HEX-CAN, HEX-V2, HEX-NET,...?

Reactions: Uwe

ch1z64

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=316572
I have laptop connected for around 10/ 20mins using hex V2 , think it might be because drls are on and maybe even battery needs changing . Funny thing is when i put jump leads on the other car only needs to idle for a min or so and bang she kicks back in .

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I have laptop connected for around 10/ 20mins using hex V2 , think it might be because drls are on and maybe even battery needs changing . Funny thing is when i put jump leads on the other car only needs to idle for a min or so and bang she kicks back in .
If the battery discharges after only 10/20 minutes then it's not in the best of health.

When I'm using VCDS I always turn off the A/C completely, and if I'm going to be connected for more than say 10 minutes I'll have the engine running (if that's allowed for the diagnostics I'm doing).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have laptop connected for around 10/ 20mins using hex V2 , think it might be because drls are on and maybe even battery needs changing .
Do your DRLs not shut off if you set the hand-brake?

When working on a car with VCDS for a short time (5-10 minutes tops), I will make sure all non-essential consumers of current are off. Lights, HVAC, Radio/Infotainment, and especially the seat heaters (if equipped).

When working on a car for anything longer than a short period of time, I will do the above and connect a battery charger as well. A quality 20A charger seems to be sufficient if you make sure that all non-essential consumers are off.

-Uwe-

ch1z64

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=316572
Tried your tip Uwe and pulled handbrake on and checked drl's but mine stay on unless i turn light switch anticlock wise , is it common for the S3 8p 2010 model to auto switch drl's off when handbrake applied or can this be changed done via Vcds coding do you know . Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
As I have never had an 8P with a PQ35 BCM, I'm not sure what the expected behavior is. My old 8P was a 2006, so Mk.5 based, and IIRC, it didn't have DRLs at all (although it could have had them with some tweaking if I were so inclined).

I assume when you say that you have to turn the switch anti-clockwise, you have to turn it to the Off position? That's not a surprise; that's true of most modern cars.

-Uwe-

Hummerman

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=360154
Only in north america the DRLs will shut off if the hand-brake is set.

Back