Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 MAN TGE (VW CRAFTER2), Coding BYTE3 in Control Unit J285 can not be undone

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would a factory/dealer software update/restore and reconfigure via VIN work I wonder? Cheaper than a new cluster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thor-stern: Hi. I'm not sure how MQB -ish the MAN GTE is, but I'm emboldened by the "3Q0" response in your auto-scan to suggest the following:

Apropo of NEtech's suggestion regarding SA for the hex17 module - there are a bunch of these for MQB platform vehicles HERE. For post MY16 models, the generally accepted SA for J285 is 47115 - but if this doesn't work, try 25327 (I'm less sure about this SA).

Again, these are MQB platform SA s

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

3. Likes Thor-sten, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would a factory/dealer software update/restore and reconfigure via VIN work I wonder? Cheaper than a new cluster
    This is also my question. Is this possible? This would be great.
    Because I already talked to the MAN dealer.
    But they seem to have no idea.

The technicians at my local dealer looked at me with huge eyes (like I'm from another planet and speaking martian) as I told them what my problem is.
    They have no technical understanding when it goes deeper in electronic and coding.
    One played for over 2 hours, with their own software, on the CAN-BUS. It seemed that he doesnít know what heís doing.
    More than checking the fault codes is normally not their job. So the result was nothing.
    Then they talked with the MAN support and tried something out. But again with no positive result.
    So the MAN support was at his end and the MAN support approached the VW support.
    Over one week later I got the short reply that such changes are not planned and are not carried out by VW.

They only told me to buy a complete new combi-instrument for round about 1000Ä$
    First class customer support ;-)

So I am sure that it is technically possible, but such changes are simply not desired by VW.
    But I donít know who is capable of doing a factory reset to this controller.

@Don: Thank you very much for the list with security codes. The 47115 was correct and accepted.
    They are surely quiet useful for the future.
    But sadly, even with the SA, the change of the wheel circumference variant coding is still denied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thor-sten: Changing Byte3, Bit 0-2 on the hex17 module to "adjust" speedometer is a mature tweak on MQB platform cars - so lots of folks have used it multiple times to experiment with the various options. But then I've not known of its application to an MY20 MAN GTE.

1000€$ to buy a new module seems a bit steep - even by VW's exorbitant standards. If the Crafter is like other MQB platform vehicles, retrofitting a new J285 will trigger Component Protection DTCs which will necessitate another visit to your friendly dealer (and it will mean a further drain on your funds)! Of course, you could always find someone to hack the CP errors, but this can be problematic depending on how it's done.

As a very long-shot based on nothing more than a hunch, I wonder if pulling the battery lead for a brief period of time is worth trying? @jyoung8607 has suggested this in the past (see here) as a possible fix for strange VCDS problems on MQB vehicles and it has worked.

It's an easy try, so give it a shot - and it costs nothing (the DTCs generated after the battery lead is replaced should clear after a brief drive)

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    You can test label file, copy this file to c:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Labels\User

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to thank again everyone whoís trying to help me with this problem.
    I realy realy appreciate your help.

I have disconnected the battery for an hour
    Reconnected it and tried the coding again.
    But as always I get the Error22: Conditions not correct or request sequence error.

I also have tested the label file. But Iíve seen no difference. What should it change?