Will VCDS help me code my ECU 2wd to 4wd, & ABS mk60 to mk20 (mk4 golf parts)?

Chickenshed

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing VCDS + Adaptor if it can allow me to complete my project, so I was advised by the UK agent to check on here first.

The project is New Beetle, the engine+ECU (038906019HH)+clocks+key+loom is from a 150PD 2003 golf mk4, the transmission+rear axle+complete ABS & brakes from a 2001 4motion golf mk4 (mk20 TEVES ABS - 1J0907379AB). Currently the car runs but there is a code 18261/P1853 "Implausible message from ABS" present and the ABS doesn't function.
I need to change the coding of the ECU to reflect both the new 4motion status, and the change to mk20 from mk60 ABS system...
Can this be solved with VCDS? Are the coding tables present in VCDS for these units to help me work it out?

Many thanks!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's not so much a question of can VCDS code those modules; it can. The question is: Are the modules compatible? E.g. does the ECU know how to talk to an Mk60 ABS? In many cases, the ECU software is specific to a particular type of ABS system, and often to a particular type of transmission and drivetrain. If the software in one module doesn't know how to talk to the software in another, then that's not something you can fix with a scan tool.

Anyway, we can't guarantee that VCDS can make your specific assortment of parts work happily together.

-Uwe-

Chickenshed

Reaction score
It's not so much a question of can VCDS code those modules; it can. The question is: Are the modules compatible? E.g. does the ECU know how to talk to an Mk60 ABS? In many cases, the ECU software is specific to a particular type of ABS system, and often to a particular type of transmission and drivetrain. If the software in one module doesn't know how to talk to the software in another, then that's not something you can fix with a scan tool.

Anyway, we can't guarantee that VCDS can make your specific assortment of parts work happily together.

-Uwe-

Thanks for the reply Uwe,
I've been digging on ETKA to find whether the combination I have used was ever in production... it has prompted me to ask some more questions. Apologies if they are obvious, but I'm working in a shed on my own and have not worked with these modules before! I thought the mechanical aspects of the project were going to be the difficult bits... So:

ABS (with esp) on 4motion Golf was mk20 up to mid 2001 my, >> car ..1D230990, then became the mk60 system.
ARL engine ECUs listed for 2000 & 2001 my show a 4motion specific 038906019 AQ
ARL engine ECU for 2002 my doesn't differentiate for 2wd or 4motion and gives 038906019 FE >> car ..2D350000, then >> 038906019 HH.
2003 my no differentiation of 2wd or 4motion and part no shows also ....... HH

MY conclusions from this information:
1. The 2003 ECU ...HH I have should have the 4motion data present in it already if I change the coding - unless (!), this data is added by the VW service agent when fitting the ECU to a car in a replacement scenario. Anyone confirm either way?
2. As the 2001 ECU ...AQ listed doesn't state the upgrade to ...FE at a specific car number, just the 2001 to 2002my change. The ABS changes mk20-60 during 2001 and so there appears to have been the ...AQ ECU in use with both mk20 and mk60. I need to check the build dates of the transition car numbers to be sure. So it appears possible to 'code' the options for the ECU somewhere to select either mk20 or mk60? Can anyone confirm or deny?
If this is possible in the ...AQ ECU then I have a chance with my ...HH unit?
Has anyone seen the option in the software to select the mk20 or 60 brake system in this way?

Sorry for so much tedious detail and multiple questions but I just want to be sure before I commit a bunch of cash for the tool, the car has already swallowed lots of cash!! I'd prefer to find a software solution rather than putting spanners on the car again (noooooooo.....)

Thanks for reading

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
This might sound a bit over simplistic but have you thought about asking in your area of England for someone who already has VCDS to try it for you for a nominal fee say!!

Reactions: Uwe

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
This might sound a bit over simplistic but have you thought about asking in your area of England for someone who already has VCDS to try it for you for a nominal fee say!!
Many owners forums have a list of VCDS owners, many of them will do things like this for no more than "beer tokens".

Chickenshed

Reaction score
Many owners forums have a list of VCDS owners, many of them will do things like this for no more than "beer tokens".

PetrolDave, are you one such person?? By my good luck, I'm just over the border from you - near Wellington, Somerset, would be great to get some help and answers :) I'm no forum expert but I guess there's a way of private messaging details...

Thanks also 'Trade Member'

Back