Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figured out "Ambient light 2" on MQB platform

Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like

Figured out "Ambient light 2" on MQB platform

Hi!
    Done some investigating about additional interior lights controlled by BCM in Golf MK7.
    Found this thread: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...di-A3-8V/page3
    ...and i think I know how to get it working. But since I don't own VCDS, I can't contribute in that thread.

Anyway, to get cupholder backlight working it's required to perform:
    09 → Long Coding → Byte: 17 → Bit: 2 → enabled
    09 → Adaptation → Interior light; light configuration - Ambiente_Applikationsleisten_in_Instrumententafel → installed
    09 → Adaptation → Interior light; light configuration - Cockpitbeleuchtung → installed

In LeauchteX channel of your choice:
    Lasstyp → 36 - LED Kleinleistung
    Lichtfunktion A → Ambientelicht2
    Dimmwert AB → 99

You might also be missing interior light parameters (interior lighting, parameter → p_adaption_XXX_cockpit and p_helligkeit_XXX_cockpit).

Reboot infotainment.
    Make sure that doors are closed.
    Cover interior light sensor (in MK7 is in the instrument cluster tachometer).

Hope it helps!
    Last edited by mrfix; 05-20-2020 at 03:39 AM. Reason: added missing adaptation

2. Likes Dana, darkchina811 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    mmm are you saying that the cupholder light from A3 8V will also fit into the tunnel cupholder of a Golf 7?
    my Golf left the factory with 18 ECUs. now she has 27. and counting

Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    mmm are you saying that the cupholder light from A3 8V will also fit into the tunnel cupholder of a Golf 7?
    I don't have access to this part to try it in MK7, but I've recently added small LED to the MK7 cupholder and front cubby to illuminate the thing.

Right now is wired to term58d (so it dims with dashboard backlight), but I'm planning to rewire it so it's powered from the BCM directly and control it from infotainment screen (when I have sufficient knowledge about MQB ambient illumination).

5. Likes darkchina811 liked this post
    Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some real world tests. Replaced front LEDs function from DRL to Ambient2. With that you can adjust DRL brightness from the infotainment screen.

Video in Polish language.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
    Some real world tests. Replaced front LEDs function from DRL to Ambient2. With that you can adjust DRL brightness from the infotainment screen.

Video in Polish language.
    ^^^ mrfix: Interesting observations. Thanks for posting the video - I wish that my Polish language skills were as good as your English!

Because I don't understand Polish, I've tried to follow the video via the screenshots - but I need your help in understanding your tweak. I'm a bit confused about the practicality of the tweak.

Here's my problem with the tweak in a "real world" environment; As you will be aware, the normal DRL function that accrues to the LEDs with the factory setting for Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion A 2 equal to Tagfahrlicht (in OBD11 speak) is for the lamps to be controlled by the RLS/RLHS\RLFS that is attached to the windshield. This sensor is ostensibly outward-looking in that it measures the daytime light levels in the surrounding environment. And most importantly for the tweak - the "Tagfahrlicht" Leuchte-command has a positive coefficient - meaning that when the ambient light level is high, the light function is switched on.

OK, now for the tweak - and based on my limited understanding of the video (please accept my apology for any errors in my understanding) -with Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion A 2 equal to Ambientelicht2, the relevant controlling light sensor becomes the phototransistor that's embedded in the instrument cluster. Continuing my parlance above - this phototransistor is inward-looking in that it monitors cabin lighting levels (which are not necessarily the same as the environment light levels). And importantly, the phototransistor has a negative coefficient - meaning that (in general) the interior lights (like the cupholder) are switched-off in bright cabin conditions - this is why you have had to cover the phototransistor in the video to make your tweak work.

So - based on my understanding (again, my apology if I'm wrong), substituting the "Tagfahrlicht" Leuchte-command with "Ambientelicht2" in the tweak seems antithetical and perhaps not road legal (to me)- because the DRLs won't operate during daytime conitions

I'm hesitant to suggest another option because of my confusion - but perhaps a better approach would be to strip-out the Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht) command (it's on Lichtfunktion C 2 in your video) to an unused Alpha-pair and substitute this for Ambientelicht2 - maybe? At least both these Leuchte-commands appear to have the same coefficient - I think?

Don

PS: @Uwe - is this thread more suited to the "tweaks" part of the forum- maybe?
    Last edited by DV52; 05-20-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    PS: @Uwe - is this thread more suited to the "tweaks" part of the forum- maybe?
    It would be, but there's a problem with doing that. Since mrfix is not Verified (and states he doesn't own VCDS), if I move it there, he won't be able to post in the thread he started.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

9. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^oops, my bad - of course, you are correct (he uses an OBD11 device).

Is the dynamic in this thread kosher on this forum (I've seen VCDS questions posed on the OBD11 forum) and should we respond to questions from users of these "less reputable" cables (which are not clones - so no IP theft involved)?

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    @DV52,
    Explaining the video
    I run two YT channels. One is called mr-fix, where I publish short how-to tutorials in English (butchering it with my pronunciation). The other one is called Łonacznik, which is bit more casual (something like "Behind The Scenes" of mr-fix).
    As soon as my knowledge about ambient illumination is sufficient to take my modification to another level, I will make an EN tutorial about it. I'm still figuring it out. The video above is just me testing if it's possible to use the "front background lighting" slider and how ambientelicht2 circuit will behave. Planning to control cupholder and front cubby with this settings in near future instead of the term58d.

Some info that could help you and others
    There are two more sliders to be activated: roof and door.
    • As far as I know channels Ambientelicht1 and Ambientelicht2 are controlled by the same slider. Not sure what is (and if there's any) difference between them.
    • As far as I know door slider does not control BCM pin. In Golf MK7 it uses door modules with ambient light as slave modules.
    • As far as I know roof slider does not control BCM pin. It uses LIN-bus roof module as slave to control roof illumination.
    • As far as I know channels Ambientelicht3 and Ambientelicht4 are controlled by drive mode (in cars with that option). Seen in Seat Leon 5F that door LED strips are bi-color (white and red), are controlled by BCM (Leuchte16 and Leuchte17 if I recall correctly), and change color from white to red when SPORT mode is selected. This can also be true for Ambientelicht5. Since my car is not equipped with drive modes (and the feature is FEC/SWaP protected) I have no way of testing it for sure.

@Uwe,
    I'm here to contribute to the ambientelicht topic, exchange ideas with DV52 and others willing to help.
    It's really your call if I can do that in this forum or if we should find another place for it.

12. Likes Dana, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have Driving Modes on my Golf so if you need anything let me know.
    my Golf left the factory with 18 ECUs. now she has 27. and counting

Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    I have Driving Modes on my Golf so if you need anything let me know.
    Great! I assume that you also have footwell lights. You could try this:
    Code:
    09 → Adaptation → Leauchte30 → Lichtfunktion A → Ambientelicht3
    ...then go though different drive modes and check if your footwell light lights up with one of the modes.

Make sure that doors are closed and interior light sensor is covered (or it's just dark when you do it).
    Also check with Ambientelicht4 and Ambientelicht5.

When set to Ambientelicht3 I expect it to light up with NORMAL mode; Ambientelicht4 in SPORT.