Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB 2.0 Extension Cable

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

USB 2.0 Extension Cable

Recently bought Hex-V2 scanner and am pleased with its performance but standard connecting cable is short. I would have chosen the 5 m cable if it were an option. If I buy the USB 2.0 extension cable will the power draw increase? I ask b/c with engine off the time to bat. voltage dropping down to 12V and communication loss is marginal as it is with the standard cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    up to 3m is ok
    longer that this is recommend use ACTIVE one with power
    HOT HOT HOT VW Touran 2005 with ACC HOT HOT HOT

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalker View Post
    up to 3m is ok
    longer that this is recommend use ACTIVE one with power
    ?? What are you talking about? Your answer is not about what I asked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morris39 View Post
    ?? What are you talking about? Your answer is not about what I asked.
    You might want to reconsider that reply....

Both active and passive USB extension cables are available; if you use a passive cable then there is no reason why power draw will increase, but if the extension is longer than 3m the attenuation of signals could make the connection unreliable.

If you want to use a USB extension longer than 3m then you should us an active extension, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Exte.../dp/B00B2HP3A2, this will slightly increase the power draw but will be more reliable.

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Note that passive extension cables are not permitted by the USB standards. That doesn't mean they can't or won't work, but it does mean that if it doesn't, you can't complain at anyone.

An "active" cable is basically a cable with a single-port hub on the end.

If I wanted a longer cable for my HEX-V2, I would buy a passive USB-A to USB-B ("printer") cable in whatever length (up to 5m) to avoid having any connectors somewhere in the middle. It will be lacking the screw-lock on the "B" end of the cable we ship, but that's of little consequence.

A total length beyond 5m requires an active repeater in any case.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

7. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stiil confused. Your site offers a 5m USB 2.0 extension cable which has "active repeater electronics". My original question is about that accessory cable possible additional power draw. You suggest using printer cable. Is that cheaper than your accessory cable? 3 m would suffice for me.
    Original question still stands re your 5m cable.
    Thanks

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Note that passive extension cables are not permitted by the USB standards. That doesn't mean they can't or won't work, but it does mean that if it doesn't, you can't complain at anyone.

An "active" cable is basically a cable with a single-port hub on the end.

If I wanted a longer cable for my HEX-V2, I would buy a passive USB-A to USB-B ("printer") cable in whatever length (up to 5m) to avoid having any connectors somewhere in the middle. It will be lacking the screw-lock on the "B" end of the cable we ship, but that's of little consequence.

A total length beyond 5m requires an active repeater in any case.

-Uwe-
    Stiil confused. Your site offers a 5m USB 2.0 extension cable which has "active repeater electronics". My original question is about that accessory cable possible additional power draw. You suggest using printer cable. Is that cheaper than your accessory cable? 3 m would suffice for me.
    Original question still stands re your 5m cable.
    Thanks

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    You might want to reconsider that reply....

Both active and passive USB extension cables are available; if you use a passive cable then there is no reason why power draw will increase, but if the extension is longer than 3m the attenuation of signals could make the connection unreliable.

If you want to use a USB extension longer than 3m then you should us an active extension, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Exte.../dp/B00B2HP3A2, this will slightly increase the power draw but will be more reliable.
    Cross purposes. Pls. see my response to Uwe below.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stiil confused. Your site offers a 5m USB 2.0 extension cable which has "active repeater electronics". My original question is about that accessory cable possible additional power draw.
    Yes, it will marginally increase power draw from the USB port on the computer. I do not know how much, but I don't think it will be particularly significant. I also do not think it will increase power draw from the car's OBD-II port at all, not that this should really matter much, because unlike the HEX-NET, the HEX-V2 does not have a low-power sleep mode and shouldn't be left plugged into a car's OBD-II port permanently.

You suggest using printer cable. Is that cheaper than your accessory cable? 3 m would suffice for me.
    Most likely:

10': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH13DV2/
    15': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCWALHM/

But you're in Canada, so YMMV.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yes, it will marginally increase power draw from the USB port on the computer. I do not know how much, but I don't think it will be particularly significant. I also do not think it will increase power draw from the car's OBD-II port at all, not that this should really matter much, because unlike the HEX-NET, the HEX-V2 does not have a low-power sleep mode and shouldn't be left plugged into a car's OBD-II port permanently.

Most likely:

10': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH13DV2/
    15': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCWALHM/

But you're in Canada, so YMMV.

-Uwe-
    Thanks for the clear response.