USB 2.0 Extension Cable

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Recently bought Hex-V2 scanner and am pleased with its performance but standard connecting cable is short. I would have chosen the 5 m cable if it were an option. If I buy the USB 2.0 extension cable will the power draw increase? I ask b/c with engine off the time to bat. voltage dropping down to 12V and communication loss is marginal as it is with the standard cable.

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
up to 3m is ok
longer that this is recommend use ACTIVE one with power

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
up to 3m is ok
longer that this is recommend use ACTIVE one with power

?? What are you talking about? Your answer is not about what I asked.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
?? What are you talking about? Your answer is not about what I asked.
You might want to reconsider that reply....

Both active and passive USB extension cables are available; if you use a passive cable then there is no reason why power draw will increase, but if the extension is longer than 3m the attenuation of signals could make the connection unreliable.

If you want to use a USB extension longer than 3m then you should us an active extension, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Extension-Amplification-Keyboards-loudspeakers/dp/B00B2HP3A2, this will slightly increase the power draw but will be more reliable.

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Note that passive extension cables are not permitted by the USB standards. That doesn't mean they can't or won't work, but it does mean that if it doesn't, you can't complain at anyone.

An "active" cable is basically a cable with a single-port hub on the end.

If I wanted a longer cable for my HEX-V2, I would buy a passive USB-A to USB-B ("printer") cable in whatever length (up to 5m) to avoid having any connectors somewhere in the middle. It will be lacking the screw-lock on the "B" end of the cable we ship, but that's of little consequence.

A total length beyond 5m requires an active repeater in any case.

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Stiil confused. Your site offers a 5m USB 2.0 extension cable which has "active repeater electronics". My original question is about that accessory cable possible additional power draw. You suggest using printer cable. Is that cheaper than your accessory cable? 3 m would suffice for me.
Original question still stands re your 5m cable.
Thanks

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Note that passive extension cables are not permitted by the USB standards. That doesn't mean they can't or won't work, but it does mean that if it doesn't, you can't complain at anyone.

An "active" cable is basically a cable with a single-port hub on the end.

If I wanted a longer cable for my HEX-V2, I would buy a passive USB-A to USB-B ("printer") cable in whatever length (up to 5m) to avoid having any connectors somewhere in the middle. It will be lacking the screw-lock on the "B" end of the cable we ship, but that's of little consequence.

A total length beyond 5m requires an active repeater in any case.

-Uwe-

Stiil confused. Your site offers a 5m USB 2.0 extension cable which has "active repeater electronics". My original question is about that accessory cable possible additional power draw. You suggest using printer cable. Is that cheaper than your accessory cable? 3 m would suffice for me.
Original question still stands re your 5m cable.
Thanks

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
You might want to reconsider that reply....

Both active and passive USB extension cables are available; if you use a passive cable then there is no reason why power draw will increase, but if the extension is longer than 3m the attenuation of signals could make the connection unreliable.

If you want to use a USB extension longer than 3m then you should us an active extension, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Extension-Amplification-Keyboards-loudspeakers/dp/B00B2HP3A2, this will slightly increase the power draw but will be more reliable.

Cross purposes. Pls. see my response to Uwe below.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Stiil confused. Your site offers a 5m USB 2.0 extension cable which has "active repeater electronics". My original question is about that accessory cable possible additional power draw.
Yes, it will marginally increase power draw from the USB port on the computer. I do not know how much, but I don't think it will be particularly significant. I also do not think it will increase power draw from the car's OBD-II port at all, not that this should really matter much, because unlike the HEX-NET, the HEX-V2 does not have a low-power sleep mode and shouldn't be left plugged into a car's OBD-II port permanently.

You suggest using printer cable. Is that cheaper than your accessory cable? 3 m would suffice for me.
Most likely:

10': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH13DV2/
15': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCWALHM/

But you're in Canada, so YMMV.

-Uwe-

morris39

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=395084
Yes, it will marginally increase power draw from the USB port on the computer. I do not know how much, but I don't think it will be particularly significant. I also do not think it will increase power draw from the car's OBD-II port at all, not that this should really matter much, because unlike the HEX-NET, the HEX-V2 does not have a low-power sleep mode and shouldn't be left plugged into a car's OBD-II port permanently.

Most likely:

10': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH13DV2/
15': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCWALHM/

But you're in Canada, so YMMV.

-Uwe-

Thanks for the clear response.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Cross purposes. Pls. see my response to Uwe below.
If you had mentioned that you were talking about the 5m extension that Ross-Tech sell in your original post then I wouldn't have chimed in :thanks:

Reactions: Uwe
Back