Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FOD PROJECT PISTON SLAP + BLOW BY BE GONE + 1 = 4 & THICK RING FUN EXPERIMENT!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jack,
    Yes over the years I have seen pistons with lower oil control rings, my point was the engine was designed for that piston weight and loading, plus everything was beefier just to be safe, no CAD/CAM then. Introducing a much heavier piston into a powerplant/transmission that was not designed for it would/could have secondary consequences. It would certainly mean lowering the rev range, which is no bad thing, but would require other changes to camshafts/valves/induction to regain the power. Why don't we go back to engines from 30 years ago?
    Isn't it far easier to change the oil more frequently and use 20 year old oil mixes if that is what you want?
    Regards HMC

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just want stuff to last and work.
    It annoys me that engines today, with stratified injection and timing chains all are pretty much unreliable.
    Now that the economy is destroyed my hope is people will maintain their cars better.
    I think the weight is negligible and the engines would run fine.
    I guess we will have to see.
    75 years ago they used to vent crankcase gasses to roadway and that was actually dangerous on a rainy day.
    Regular oil & increased oil changes indeed make a difference but not enough if the fuel is making way to crankcase from inadequate combustion chamber sealing.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HMC View Post
    Why don't we go back to engines from 30 years ago?
    There are trade-offs in everything. Modern numerical analysis and CAD/CAM design has allowed manufacturers to cut what used to be generous "engineering margins" to the bone, and I think those margins were at least in part responsible for the longevity/durability that we no longer seem to have. But at the same time, these techniques have increased fuel efficiency while reducing emissions. Practically every car I've had over the last 40 years would get 25-30 (US) mpg on the highway. The current ones manage it with double (or more) the weight, well over double the power output, AWD, and considerably more frontal areas, as compared to lightweight FWD cars of my younger years.

But of course there's also the fact that manufacturers simply don't want to make cars that last 'forever' because doing so would kill their market for replacements in the future.

-Uwe-
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

4. Likes Jack@European_Parts, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I get one of those black wrist bands?

6. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I get one of those black wrist bands?
    Yes you can send me PM for shipping.
    Quick story....
    Believe it or not I had those made to go over my wallet to lock in ID cards etc ..
    I had this Continental "Conti" band from 2008 AApex show and when it broke I was lost, trying to use other's.
    Went to buy one in store, was non existent. So went online and found the advertising ones being sold.
    It is like having a VCDS cable without the Velcro band or on your blue VAG box. The one his Eminence installed is still to this day where he put it.

I was doing some quick measures the other day with digital caliper on pistons at home, battery died! RT marketing to the rescue, robbed the batteries out of the VCDS Key chain LED flash light.

All these little things are so useful!
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FYI:
    I will be removing material from the pistons and they are not that much heavier over stock but are heavy duty.
    As a kid I used to turn pistons upside down and add lead to create weight with a torch.

I'm sure the fumes helped with my intelligence levels.

I had two strokes and 4 stroke mopeds/mini bikes/race bikes with old Briggs/Tecumseh engines.
    Suddenly they could hill climb and wheelee all over the place & carrying my "extra" weight.
    I experimented early on with light and heavy flywheels, carb jetting and moving the timing in mags from what I learned about Mag's as a kid on planes. Since they were redundant and adjustable I made bikes move to play with timing.
    I would remove governor play with cam timing too.
    I spent a ton of time with failure and some success that taught me basics gone advanced.
    Now I indeed destroyed a bunch of engine's but I learned a lot so I can apply this gauge of what I believe I can do and can't.

I don't think the block will be an issue, I'm more concerned about the rod snapping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey what do you know same type crummy similar motor was in that shit VW badged Chrysler van?

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/jeep-ow...nsive-problem/

The lawsuit against FCA claims that in vehicles equipped with the Tigershark engine, oil escapes past the piston rings and seeps into the combustion chamber. This results in the piston rings not working effectively within the cylinders. An abundance of wear occurs, requiring more oil than should be needed.
    Widespread?

An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption which may be the result of defective piston rings. Toyota, in all their 'deny-til-we-die' splendor, is reportedly denying warranty coverage on many oil consumption related problems and telling owners that burning through oil is normal.Mar 3, 2020
    http://www.toyotaproblems.com/excess...l-consumption/

WTF do I know right I'm just the JackASS....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...OOAvCRR8QZ3Fdi

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6mc5iwFOiLSPYq

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1589769952437
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 05-17-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you are well familiar with the CAV engines in the states. Here in Europe they are also notorious for high oil consumption due to bad piston rings.
    Whether it's VW or the importer (PON) is claiming it to be normal, but 1 litre of oil per 500 km is considered 'within specification'. That's 1200mpg in USA units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that TSB advisory about oil burning has been around since the 1980's, however, it's not normal if some engines do it and others don't, is it?

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    My '07 RAV4 has this problem now... about 60K it started... (was 10 years old at that point) It is now restricted to light duty around town... no more big trips. Ain't worth dumping $2k into an engine rebuild. There is a class action group getting steam to go after Toyota on this. My consumption is over a quart per 1k miles..

My question is, what is this doing to the CAT? Why isn't Uncle involved since it ought to be an emissions issue - no?

14. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post