FOD PROJECT PISTON SLAP + BLOW BY BE GONE + 1 = 4 & THICK RING FUN EXPERIMENT!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
My question is, what is this doing to the CAT? Why isn't Uncle involved since it ought to be an emissions issue - no?

Now that is a great question now isn't it? :rolleyes:

Did you complain to NHTSA yet, since an obvious safety issue to your health and if the engine locks up causing an accident yet?

I guess the real question is, is there a p0420 DTC as a result with MIL?

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Now that is a great question now isn't it? :rolleyes:

Did you complain to NHTSA yet, since an obvious safety issue to your health and if the engine locks up causing an accident yet?

I guess the real question is, is there a p0420 DTC as a result with MIL?

Not yet.... I guess it should be on my to do list... since the start of 2020, the car has not traveled 1000 miles.. I want to sell it. Mama wants it for back up and doggy duties... the dogs like that car for some reason and don't like the newer cars. Go figure!

So, we keep it as a knock around spare.

How much are my panties in a bunch on this? 13 year old car? Not too much... And Jack since it ain't being driven much, it is not affecting my health. However, engine lockup - that would be a different matter. Still, I am keeping an eye on the oil levels now. As long as I keep oil in it, I don't think it will lock up unless you have seen something which I need to know about.

My mechanic told me of this problem 2 years ago... we talked about rebuilding the engine because the car is in immaculate condition. Still, I am not willing to dump $2k into now. Run it like it is. Poison the earth the way we used to do! (my '58 Ford 6-banger used a quart per thou too! But it did not have a cat other than the one that always wanted to ride with me and purr on my lap!)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
So no MIL during the oil feeding or consumption process?

I'd make a big deal out of it and it is indeed a safety issue to you and everyone on the road & as per NHTSA documents, right?
Toyotas engines have indeed been known to lock up, even catch in fire, haven't they?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAQegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw08lKT2bzO7tc8kpUv0AENC

After the Primary Coverage expires, the Secondary Coverage is applicable for
ten (10) years from the date of first use or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs
first.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
So no MIL during the oil feeding or consumption process?

I'd make a big deal out of it and it is indeed a safety issue to you and everyone on the road & as per NHTSA documents, right?
Toyotas engines have indeed been known to lock up, even catch in fire, haven't they?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAQegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw08lKT2bzO7tc8kpUv0AENC

No - no mil..

I can try to get Toyota to cover this.. I doubt they will as the car is well past 10 years from first use.

NHTSA complaint? Ok. I'll add it to my list of things to do. The rear blowing up in the Tiggy was far more scary than this oil consumption issue..

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
No - no mil..

I can try to get Toyota to cover this.. I doubt they will as the car is well past 10 years from first use.

NHTSA complaint? Ok. I'll add it to my list of things to do. The rear blowing up in the Tiggy was far more scary than this oil consumption issue..
Was the Tig-nig covered under warranty for differential & was that not a recall or known defect too?

How was the Toyota certified?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Wait, I thought Toyotas were perfect and would run forever without any failures of any kind? :popcorn:

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Wait, I thought Toyotas were perfect and would run forever without any failures of any kind?

-Uwe-

Since we are in the bar.... :rolleyes:
Fuck Toyota it's a POS too?
The point of the thread is this piston ring and slap issues are widespread.

This idea I have is only part of the solution!

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Wait, I thought Toyotas were perfect and would run forever without any failures of any kind? :popcorn:

-Uwe-

Never once did I say that Toyota was perfect. That's you putting words in my mouth.

What I said and still maintain is the cost of ownership over a 10 year period is thousands less. I proved that to you but you refuse to accept the hard facts. My Tiggy was not a lemon. It was and is typical of what people experience if a VAG car is driven and operated at about 10k miles per year. Even with an engine re-build now at 13 years old, the Toyota cost to own would blow the Tiggy's cost to own out the door. Multiple times in the 10 years I owned the Tiggy, I dropped $2k plus into repairs. If Peter had not done the blown rear, which was not covered under any warranty cause we checked, that alone would have been a $4500 new dealer part cost and god only knows what the dealer would have charged in labor. I think the job would have been $6k ish...

And before you sight that the Tiggy had more miles driven than the RAV4 - That's true by about 10% over the years.. factor that 10% into the calculations and it still is a very different picture.

As I am moving toward retirement, I am not buying VAG cars. On a fixed income, I do not want the high cost of ownership. I miss the ride and performance but I don't need those at my age.

You said I am not loyal to the brand that pays my salary. You are wrong. Ross-Tech is the brand to which I am loyal and the wise one who started Ross-Tech picked the right pony around which to build a tool. He picked the pony that always needs to be fed the best feed rather than the Clydesdale which eats anything and runs for a long time. You picked the thoroughbred rather than a plow horse.

I like tractors... any clue as to why I like plow horses? Besides that I am cheap?

Jack is correct, we have hijacked his thread - back to piston slap...

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
And Jack, why are you investigating this? Is it because VAG engines have oil consumption issue?

While the '10 Tiggy 2.0L engine did not, the '06 A4 2.0L did from brand new. Audi told me it was normal to use at least a quart per 5000 miles..

It was a leased car and was cared for by Audi on their maintenance schedule.

RAV4 went 11 years without a problem on consumption. Last 2 years, we needed to watch it.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I like tractors... any clue as to why I like plow horses? Besides that I am cheap?

Jack is correct, we have hijacked his thread - back to piston slap...

By all means hijack it and take conversations where they go, I'm not a Nazi in the bar, am I?

Plow or "Work" horse is by far in comparison a TQ horse.... just look at the hooves!

I did grow up on a farm........unfortunately with farmer banging my mom, however, for things I learned outside of that, I consider that part of it hard work & fortunate + yes the tractors heavy equipment were a bonus!

And Jack, why are you investigating this? Is it because VAG engines have oil consumption issue?

As usual always seeing patterns and ubiquitous history repeating itself and wondering WTF why?

WHY? :p

Like a nagging kid!

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
While the '10 Tiggy 2.0L engine did not, the '06 A4 2.0L did from brand new. Audi told me it was normal to use at least a quart per 5000 miles..
The V8 in the B7 RS4 was notorious on owners forums for relatively high oil consumption - some owners were seeing it as high as a litre per 1000 miles, but personally I saw zero usage for the first 5000 miles after a service but gradually increasing after that to use a litre in the next 5000 miles (this pattern was consistent until I sold it with 87000 miles on the clock) - which is when I would have it serviced.

The deciding factor in oil consumption seemed to be driving style from new for the first few thousand miles, those who "drove it like they stole it" from new were more likely to see higher oil consumption.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Seems more like a failure of reclamation process of PCV being inadequate by design and poor sealed piston to ring clearances being inconsistent?

Driving behavior will absolutely make a difference, however, a car like this, it is expected, so design should be better, no?

No reason to send oil vapors to an intake process without its own pro vent process to separate it.

The entire plugged intake ports is a bunch of bullshit and it should not happen on any car!

It is not just overlap or oil down the valve stem is it & if it is it should be double sealed & with a gravity oil drain port by scraper, right?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
This is why Bruce....... :popcorn:

IMG-20200519-172611.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Inspection break down commences the pile of parts and summation of poor peoples needs that begin as part of process to help someone truly deserving & confidentially to protect identity.

The dude doesn't even know it yet either, it's a surprise, shhhh it's a secret!

He needs a head........they just got it, well as soon as I take it off after getting on engine stand... :rolleyes:
Over heat due to water pump plastic made of straw & human feces and yeah this one had a plastic one too WTF!

break-down-IMG-20200522-130403.jpg

Okay the lift helped im here solo

stood-up-with-help-of-lift.jpg

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Okay head is off and test fit number 1 for mind measurements from being Majestic.

line up bore and start the drop of the upper deck

piston-fit-1-IMG-20200522-141152.jpg

inching in....
gKvNmnbtKAhqaQBjbAIfXwyFsNo.jpg

piston-fit-2.jpg

she is taking it......

piston-fit-3-IMG-20200522-141203.jpg

a bit more oh she is fresh and tight...different angle

piston-fit-4-IMG-20200522-141240.jpg

........... it's in

piston-fit-5-IMG-20200522-141220.jpg

oh yeah even bottomed out.....sandbar prize achieved!

piston-fit-6-IMG-20200522-141232.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
BLOCK PREP COMMENCES

Remove pan, pump and sump pickup splash.

Looks good inside.......

block-prep-1.jpg

Add some black paint.......after blasted and picked to clean it up for work environment.

block-prep-2.jpg

Pistons and rods removed, still looks good...
block-prep-3.jpg

Closer look inspections commence......

RODS CRANK AND SPRAYER'S GETTING NIXED!

YUK! INVERTED TRAPEZOID'S ......
block-prep-4.jpg

Reactions: Uwe
Back